When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded GMT IIc... anyone?

Whatever123

THis has bugged me for quite a while now. When i had the GMT IIc, which was a great rep btw, i compared it to my friend's gen and found the cyclops mag was quite off. The rep was way magnified compared to the gen, i had i believe V2, Zseries. Just wondering whether that has been improved for the V3? Anyone?

THis has bugged me for quite a while now. When i had the GMT IIc, which was a great rep btw, i compared it to my friend's gen and found the cyclops mag was quite off. The rep was way magnified compared to the gen, i had i believe V2, Zseries. Just wondering whether that has been improved for the V3? Anyone?

That is indeed strange... normally bad magnification is one of the easiest "tells" of rep Rollies. Now with the GMT IIc it seems to be the other way around... someone who doesn't own the gen would probably always think the gen is the fake one when compared to the rep... lol

I don't think they fixed that for v3 - but I haven't seen a good enaough pic of a v3 to compare it.

What bothers me atm is the bad datewheel overlay on mine. Anyone changed that? Are ETA datewheels possible on this model? After all it's supposed to be a 2836 clone.

I made the mistake of buying the v1 CHS and put way too much money into it. I originally had it relumed and serviced (twice) and never could get the GMT hand to follow correctly. Also installed one of Chief's AR'd cyclops. Since then I shoehorned in a 2893-2 GMT movement and replaced the bezel insert with the newer full ceramic one. The new insert had to be ground down considerably to fit at the proper height.

DSCN4350.jpg

DSCN4353.jpg

DSCN4320.jpg

A lot of time bending and refitting the GMT and hour hands to not hang up on the dial markers or each other, and a slight bend of the dial center. The problem is also compounded by getting the Rolex date wheel overlay to work properly and not hang up on the extra GMT setting wheel. I wouldn't recommend trying it and if you do, leave the crystal off until you get all the hands working properly so you don't have to keep taking it apart when they aren't set perfectly.

Now that I have it all working, I guess it was worth it, but I'd never do it again.

Thanks freddy and kbh! I shot Domi a PM and asked him if he has ever fitted a gen ETA 2893 into a GMT IIc. Anyway, you still have to use that date wheel overlay, right? No way to fit an ETA date wheel? Are date wheel overlays available for this model somewhere?

A while back Concepta sold a beautiful GMT IIc with a Corum 2893-2 movement, gen dial, etc.... You can find the sales post here

I would say that answers the question as to whether or not Domi will fit a 2893-2 movement in there. Not sure what was involved on the mod, but it seems as though it is very do-able.

A while back Concepta sold a beautiful GMT IIc with a Corum 2893-2 movement, gen dial, etc.... You can find the sales post here

I would say that answers the question as to whether or not Domi will fit a 2893-2 movement in there. Not sure what was involved on the mod, but it seems as though it is very do-able.

Wow, that's a nice one! OK, so Domi can do it... let's see how expensive it's going to get... :whistling:

How about that DW overlay - anyone know if a ETA DW will fit?

Thanks,

Whatever

How about that DW overlay - anyone know if a ETA DW will fit?

Why would you want to install an ETA datewheel to a Rolex? It's completely different. :mellow:

The biggest issue with the GMTIIc is the rehaut engraving. Doesn't matter how much you mod the watch, it will always be off... too tall font and non-symmetric.

The other rep models that have ROLEXROLEX aligned correctly are inferior in every way (wokky, cheap looking, etc.)

I suggest you just wear the rep as it is. It's OK. I don't see a point investing a lot of money to fix details on a rep that has fundamental flaws.

The biggest issue with the GMTIIc is the rehaut engraving. Doesn't matter how much you mod the watch, it will always be off... too tall font and non-symmetric.

I suggest you just wear the rep as it is. It's OK. I don't see a point investing a lot of money to fix details on a rep that has fundamental flaws.

I agree, but would add that the GMTIIC is a super rep out-of-the-box &, unless you do not fit the stereotype of someone who could afford an expensive watch, the average guy/gal on the street is NOT going to call you out on it.

You're right of course, but personally I don't care too much about how close to the gen a rep is (OK, if it's not TOO obvious...), I would never worry about the Rehaut engraving for instance - to me it looks great. I do hate those little imperfections like a spot on the datewheel, a slightly misaligned index or a faulty lume dot though...

All my friends know that my reps are reps - and whenever they take a closer look at one, they pick a little imperfection like those mentioned above and say "oh yeah, chinese... not even close... look at that...". i really try to convince them how good those reps actually are for the price, but you know... :bangin:

So I always try to make my reps look technically as perfect as possible. If it's not spot on with the gen - well, no one will notice anyway except gen owners and RWG members... :rofl:

I think it bears repeating that most gen owners (I am not talking about serious Rolex collectors here) know NOTHING about these watches. Same goes for the average counter sales people in most ADs. Similarly, some gen owners have reported being criticized for wearing a 'fake' Rolex. So, unless you tend to habit locales where watch collectors may be in residence, I think alot of our collective neurosing over details is mostly for our own benefit. :drinks:

Although I agree with Freddy and By-Tor, I think a lot of us do this for our own satisfaction. Not because we're trying to fool anybody. I had mine re-lumed because I like good lume at night. I liked changing the bezel insert because it looked better to me. Not because I thought anyone else would care. And I changed the movement cause I like the watch and was totally dissatisfied with the piece of crap Chinese modified Eta movement. After one watch with a genuine GMT movement I know I'll never want another GMT watch with a cheap movement.

I guess I am alone then. I was brought up & continue to believe that a Rolex watch is a mark of sophistication & success. Although I do own/wear Rolex watches - gen & rep - because of their design, history & technicalities, I also want to be seen wearing them. And I make no bones about that. Otherwise, at least in the case of reps, I would opt, instead, for any 1 of the much-better-quality gen copycat watches that are made with new/serviced movements, come with proper QC & a 1-3 year warranty.

I guess I am alone then. I was brought up & continue to believe that a Rolex watch is a mark of sophistication & success. Although I do own/wear Rolex watches - gen & rep - because of their design, history & technicalities, I also want to be seen wearing them. And I make no bones about that. Otherwise, at least in the case of reps, I would opt, instead, for any 1 of the much-better-quality gen copycat watches that are made with new/serviced movements, come with proper QC & a 1-3 year warranty.

No, you're not alone there, mate... that's part of the game for sure. And that's not what I meant by "fool others". I never try to pass my watch off as gen - if anyone asks, I always say it's a rep ("but a pretty good one", haha). Anyway, I sure do like the feeling that some people might recognize the watch and I also like to be seen with it. But I would never say it's gen if someone asks or even worse try to fool my friends.

The worst thing of course is trying to sell a rep as gen... and I honestly hope noone here on this forum has ever tried to do that or will ever do that...

Cheers,

W.

I have to agree, the GMT IIC is a pretty darn good rep right out the box. I tried to make it something that it wasn't i.e Genuine ETA 2893-2 movement that wasn't worth the compromise. Everyone i believe who has tried it even the few that have been sucessful with the transplant will say "never again". I ended up wit ha genuine crown/tube, relume and that's all. Crystal project and movement project went by the wayside.I'm happy with it just the way it is. It's accurate, nice looking and serves it's purpose very nicely.

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I've had more genuine Rolexes than reps over the years. I bought them for me, not to impress anyone.Started with an Air king in about 1966, and bought my first Sub in either 1968 or 69. All I remember is it was 500.00 Dollars brand new with all the boxes,papers, etc from Hausmann's Jewelers in New Orleans. Back in the old days, I was pretty hard on watches, and the Rolex subs and SD's held up no matter how rough you treated them. Over the years I've gotten away from them and tried other brands, but I always seem to come back.

I think it bears repeating that most gen owners (I am not talking about serious Rolex collectors here) know NOTHING about these watches. Same goes for the average counter sales people in most ADs. Similarly, some gen owners have reported being criticized for wearing a 'fake' Rolex. So, unless you tend to habit locales where watch collectors may be in residence, I think alot of our collective neurosing over details is mostly for our own benefit. :drinks:

I agree 100%... BT also... Even they guys that DO know Rolex, dont know half as much as the guru's here and on the other replica forums. I think us replica builder guys get pretty picky when i comes to the details that most gen watch collectors wouldn't even notice.

dizz