When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Am I being unreasonable?

mickiii

Hi,

October, last year I bought a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera A7750, which I absolutely love. Very good copy, except for a minor detail with the logo on the bracelet. Anyways, half a year later, the minute hand started falling behind, and I asked in here about that issue, and one person suggested that it might be that it was not assembled properly. A week later, various bits on the dial (metal around the seconds and chrono) started coming loose, and the minute hand came almost completely off.

I must add, that I have several replicas, and all expensive ones at that, and I always take good care of them, and treat them properly.

I contacted ptswiss, where I have bought other watches as well as recommended him to others (would do it again), and he now tells me that I have to pay for parts and repair my self. I am a bit in doubt here, is that fair? Is it unreasonable to expect the dealer to sort out this sort of issue, free of charge? I mean, it is not even one year old, and I paid 320 GBP for it, so it was not exactly cheap, but I do not mind paying for a quality inspected watch.

I would really like to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Unless warrenty is given, you are left with goodwill of dealer. IMO it is unreasonable for a replica watch that is over 6 months old to hold dealer responsible.

+1

Absolutely so, wear and tear affects all watches, even gens. I have a Swatch chrono knocking about somewhere, where the chrono hands stopped zeroing properly after a while, and there was no mis-handling or rough treatment of the watch. Sometimes, things do just wear out and need fixing, and that's down to the owner, not the supplier to fund (although it's always nice if the supplier can help source parts to make repairs possible).

That's a tough one. The dealers have to stand behind their watches but they are sometimes at the mercy of poor QC as well. I would make a personal plea to the dealer. I would re-state you have been a faithful customer and an excellent voicebox for the product and ask once again if some kind of compromise can be worked out. I disagree with the statement that 6 months is too long to ask a dealer to stand behind a sale especially one to a devoted customer who paid over $700 USD for a watch. I have a particular dealer I buy from almost exclusively. I have spent well over $5K on watches from him and he understands that good business practice means standing behind those sales. He has and I rarely buy elsewhere. It works out well for both of us. I'm not stating dealers can bend over backwards to treat all customers like this but you seem to be one of the special cases where you should be better taken care of.

As it was purchased 10-11 months ago, I don't really think it's the dealers responsibility, certainly I have never heard of any dealer offering a 12 month warranty for any product they sell, after all this is not a "standard" purchase.....

Plus you are forgetting one important thing, the parts should be very cheap for most reps, so how much is he quoting to fix it? I bet it wont be too much to install a new dial and hands ;)

It's nice of him to offer to help at all :)

Thank you for all your thoughts on this, it really helps with my decision making. I have decided to not make a fuss about this, but simply have the watch fixed, and carry on being a happy wearer of it. Then I can look forward to the gen Carrera I am just about to pull the trigger on, although I plan on buying the rep at ptswiss as a daily beater :).

come on, these are reps, and reps, no matter they are 200usd or 700usd, they have the same reliability. It is just because when people are paying more, they are expecting a better reliability as well, which is so much not the case.. A rep is a rep and will always be a rep.

If you want to have it fixed, cheapest is to have it shipped back to the factory in China. But you have to be willing to bear the customs risk though. And you will not have the watch for around 8 weeks. But some watch smiths I know also take 8 weeks to repair a watch. :whistling:

King would have repaired this and apologised for it failing ...

I know this because it happened to a Carrera Day/Date I had for over 12 months.

Personally I think people put up with alot of crap and extra expense from non-china dealers for very little benifit. It would cost very, very little to send this back to the factory to have repaired.

I guess it might depend on how much business youre giving the dealer though ...

I purchased from her ages ago, got a duff DOA watch, multiple issues and problems, cosmetic and functionality wise. Finally sent it back after a gap in communications, asked for a replacement, due to the multiple issues, and it was agreed to be replaced. In the end I got the same watch back with just the movement issue fixed, so I sold the watch cheaply at a loss to a work colleague....

You win some you lose some I guess :p

I have had very good luck with my reps overall,nothing but small Issues. I purchased a RW Nabucco from Tony@Asian7750 back In July of 09. The crown started to become a little loose In April of this year. I asked Tony If he could find me a Crown/tube for the watch. He said he could not locate the parts needed but he would exange the watch as long as I payed for return shiping. I thanked Tony and said my friend(BikeMike) Is going to try to take care of the Issue for me. I had the watch for nine months, so some dealers will do more than others. It Is true that I have done quite a bit of business with Tony but I really did not expect a even exchange. Suffice to say that I do all my rep shopping with Tony If at all possible. I also purchase from Joshua @Perfect clones quite a bit,excellent service