When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thailand Situation

jjajh

I am sure you are up to date on the situation in Thailand. The UN is reporting about 7500 foreigners in the country are either dead, missing or injured, not to mention the poor Thai people who are in the same predicament. We have friends and fellow forum members there and our prayers go out to them to keep them safe. :mellow:

I am sure you are up to date on the situation in Thailand. The UN is reporting about 7500 foreigners in the country are either dead, missing or injured, not to mention the poor Thai people who are in the same predicament. We have friends and fellow forum members there and our prayers go out to them to keep them safe. :mellow:

Woah, dead? Who died? It was a bloodless coup.

Are we talking about the same thing, or are you only just finding out about the Tsunami?

I just spoke to my brother in Bangkok, and he said that there are no known deaths related to the coup.

Woah, dead? Who died? It was a bloodless coup.

Are we talking about the same thing, or are you only just finding out about the Tsunami?

I just spoke to my brother in Bangkok, and he said that there are no known deaths related to the coup.

I am that brother, and I live in Bangkok.

The last days have been surreal, what with soldiers being on every junction of a main road, and on the expressways. There are tanks at most government buildings. However, I have yet to hear of a single death or even an injury related directly to the coup.

There was a report of a riot in a prison in Nonthaburi, when the guards would not turn on the news to allow inmates to find out what was happening - they took a couple of guards hostage and were shot for the privilege. Pretty tenuous really, but technically related.

I think nobody was really surprised when the tanks rolled in - the political situation here has been bad for almost a year, and has been getting steadily worse. So when the military finally did something about it, the people basically let them, and watched. Everyone I know has been going "look! Soldiers! Fun!". People buy them snacks and drinks (it gets hot here in the day!), and when I was leaving work today there was a group of about 10 people laughing and joking with the three soldiers outside our office block. They were sharing snacks, and nobody seemed bothered by the semiautomatic weapons they were carrying.

So, my impression of the coup? As bloodless as it gets.

I hope this helps put some people's mind at ease a little - it frightened me when I read the initial reports of tanks rolling in the streets of the capital, too.

Best wishes to all,

Scott (in Bangkok)

Bodies everywhere.......lying in the street........lifeless.......not moving.......but most if not all of those are just farangs staggering home from the bars....the biggest danger is seafood that might be off...:lol:

@ Scott Earle welcome to RWG and yes that was a nice first post, stick around a while and help us try and keep that brother of yours in check. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken :D

Thank you very much for the welcome!

I have been registered for some time, having found an interest in replica watches around the same time as JJ did. I am just usually the quiet type, but when I was told that someone had said lots of people had been killed in the recent Thai coup, I had to say something.

Actually, not 15 minutes after I wrote my reply, a friend of mine came to visit and asked if we could go to look at the tanks! So we got a taxi, and went to the government buildings, where sure enough there are about 6 tanks parked, with attendant soldiers. I took some pictures of the tanks, and of my friend standing in front of them - and then a soldier with an M16 came up and stood behind her, while I was taking the photos! There were a couple of hundred other people also doing the same thing, and the soldiers were posing for all their photos.

It's all very friendly.

As for keeping JJ in check, don't bother - I gave up years ago :)

Actually, not 15 minutes after I wrote my reply, a friend of mine came to visit and asked if we could go to look at the tanks! So we got a taxi, and went to the government buildings, where sure enough there are about 6 tanks parked, with attendant soldiers. I took some pictures of the tanks, and of my friend standing in front of them - and then a soldier with an M16 came up and stood behind her, while I was taking the photos! There were a couple of hundred other people also doing the same thing, and the soldiers were posing for all their photos.

It's all very friendly.

Absolutely brilliant! Almost like a Monty Python sketch.

Anyhoo, welcome and thanks for coming out of the trenches to give us that report!