When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex/Other vintages - which version to get?

Speedman

Avoid any 1680 unless its a MBW. To my knowledge there are no MBW 1680s available through vendors.

The new vintage submariner 1680 from Puretime is a pretty good platorm to start with and an excellent rep out of the box. In some ways its more accurate than the MBW.

If you are looking for a comex watch then might i recommend the 5514 no date comex submariner.. Its a nice one to start with.

If you want a Rolex wthout the comex logo then i would go for the 1680 vintage from Puretime for $199. ETA swiss movement, proper datewheel, proper bracelet and lug holes..

It depends what you want to spend? you can spend $200 or you can spend $1800 to get one (heavily modded) with a genuine rolex movement, dial, crown, bezel insert etc

5512, 5513, 5514 are non-date vintage subs

1680 is vintage sub with date

1665 is the vintage sea-dweller

16610 is the newer submariner with saphire crystal.

dizz

Edited by Dizzy

The new vintage submariner 1680 from Puretime is a pretty good platorm to start with and an excellent rep out of the box. In some ways its more accurate than the MBW.

If you are looking for a comex watch then might i recommend the 5514 no date comex submariner.. Its a nice one to start with.

If you want a Rolex wthout the comex logo then i would go for the 1680 vintage from Puretime for $199. ETA swiss movement, proper datewheel, proper bracelet and lug holes..

It depends what you want to spend? you can spend $200 or you can spend $1800 to get one (heavily modded) with a genuine rolex movement, dial, crown, bezel insert etc

5512, 5513, 5514 are non-date vintage subs

1680 is vintage sub with date

1665 is the vintage sea-dweller

16610 is the newer submariner with saphire crystal.

dizz

Thanks dizz :) Well, if I find a really good one, I can put "alot" of money down ;) As you can see from my sig, Im kinda into frankens :D Do you know where I can get a heavily modded one?

5512 = Chronometer spec Submariner - usually (but not always) has 4 lines of text in the bottom half of the dial

st035_1.jpg

5513 = Non-chronometer spec Submariner - has 2 lines of text in the bottom half of the dial

st044_1.jpg

5514 = 5513 made specifically for Comex - often (but not always) contains a Comex signature in the bottom half of the dial & (usually) a Helium exhaust valve in the side @ 9 o'clock

022-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

(This is a gen-powered franken that I constructed a couple of years ago - it is not available from any rep seller)

5512 = Chronometer spec Submariner - (usually (but not always) has 4 lines of text in the bottom half of the dial.

5513 = Non-chronometer spec Submariner - has 2 lines of text in the bottom half of the dial.

5514 = 5513 made specifically for Comex (often (but not always) contains a Comex signature in the bottom half of the dial

022-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

(This is a gen-powered franken that I constructed a couple of years ago - it is not available from any rep seller)

Thanks! This is whats so great about this forum :D :D

This one is one I bought off RolexAddict.

He originally bought it from Josh http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01103-vintage-...800-p-7808.html

He then shaved the CGs, replaced and aged the bezel insert, drilled the lug holes, added gen spring bars, and relumed it :)

A couple of his pics that are better than mine:

Comex6.jpg

Comex10.jpg

Comex12.jpg

Comex7.jpg

• 1 year later...