When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

best bang for the buck 5513

what2

still after a decent, $200 or so 5513/5512, been told that the trusty is not up to par. Another was suggested that was much closer to reality case wise but it had a 369 dial which I do not want. What are the suggestions as to the best band for the buck 5513 wise? I don't mind changing inserts, and I have a spare rolex crown

You wont get an MBK for $200 especially with gen ETA my last order of inventory from MBK also cost a bit more since the store owner is also raising prices and blaming it on the Euro. So if you want a complete running MBK expect to pay $350 w/ Gen ETA i'd also advise against complete running watches from them since ive fixed my share of 5513s from them where the crown wont pull to the time setting posistion because they modify the Gen movements and i personally have to unmodify them with parts or they wont catch and jam up. Theyve also been known to throw in a seagul movement and call it a gen ETA

Theyve also been known to throw in a seagul movement and call it a gen ETA

Thats not very good...

Have they even had gen ETA movements in them lately? I heard they were all copy ETA's now anyways.

Thats not very good...

Have they even had gen ETA movements in them lately? I heard they were all copy ETA's now anyways.

I demand they open them and check in store, the shop owner who knows my buyer by now expects this and has them preopened for my inspection (by proxy). if you ever find yourself in MBK avoid the shopowners sister, she WILL yell at you for trying to inspect your preordered inventory. Out of my last few shipments all have been GEN ETA except 2 pieces which i(my buyer) caught in store, one was a clone and the other a seagul.

to date all the no date models have had the time setting bug where it will not pull out into the time setting position. ive had to decase the modified no date movement and "un" modify them, they may appear to set in store and for a week after you get them but they eventually jam up unless fixed preemptively. worst case you have to file through the crown stem to release it. this is just my personal experience over the last few months of buying several pieces of inventory, im not sure if the most recent batch of movements are only effected by this or what.

regardless MBK is becoming marginless to resell, and the cases arent anywhere near perfect either, some exciting things *might* be happening in 2011 with regards to affordable vintage cases and accuracy ;) that's all i will say for now :)

I have just placed my order with Narikaa for the 5513. In response to my inquiry as to any additional charges required for a gen ETA based on my understanding that they now all have Asian ETA copies Reg replied as follows:

"No He now ONLY has ETAs in the retro subs (hiked his prices during my last trip due to this)"

That is encouraging and if true justifies the added cost. In any event, I have tried many of the other vintage reps and I can say that NONE matches the build quality of the MBK/MBW.

I now have DRSD, SRSD, GWSD, 1680 White and soon the 5513....too bad no vintage GMT with small triangle hand.....yet.

I have just placed my order with Narikaa for the 5513. In response to my inquiry as to any additional charges required for a gen ETA based on my understanding that they now all have Asian ETA copies Reg replied as follows:

"No He now ONLY has ETAs in the retro subs (hiked his prices during my last trip due to this)"

That is encouraging and if true justifies the added cost. In any event, I have tried many of the other vintage reps and I can say that NONE matches the build quality of the MBK/MBW.

I now have DRSD, SRSD, GWSD, 1680 White and soon the 5513....too bad no vintage GMT with small triangle hand.....yet.

thats the other thing about MBK, ALWAYS a tall tale to share about why prices are increasing. i wouldnt take their word for anything, seeing is believing

The good thing about those trusty subs are that they take a gen crystal. My comex 5514 started out as one of these from about 4 years ago and has the correct thickness. Most of the new 5514 reps use the thicker seadweller case instead of the sub case... prob because the 1665 case already has the valve installed... Anyways, the crown guards on these really suck and take a lot of work to get right.. the case hole is already the right size for a gen tube so its an easy swap out to install a gen 24-703. I think the mbw's have nicer dials. I think you would get a better watch from Puretime. For $200 you get a better overall watch and also gen ETA 2846 that is closer to the gen beat rate, proper silver datewheel and im sure also a better crystal. The dome on this 5514 was horrible and not even close to the right shape. CHeck out the puretime website and have a look at the vintage submariners. Im going to order a couple of these next week hopefully.