When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Now this is one hell of a driver

By-Tor

Yeah that was sick.

I recall those N/B-series supercars used to have over 1000 HP. They banned them quickly after the death of Henri Toivonen. Toivonen crashed his car in Corsica and it was total destruction. I mean the car was all over the forest in millions of little pieces.

Today's rally cars are nothing compared to those 80's monsters.

Yep...It's insane. That race is in my backyard. I live in Castle Rock CO. Pikes Peak is about 45 miles from my house. They used to refer to Pikes Peak as "Unser mountain" because the Unser clan (of Indy Car fame)used to dominate, but not so much anymore.

Believe it or not, they've been doing this race for something like 90 years and I think only 3 people have died.

I have driven up Mt Washington, and its incredible how there can be no guard rail .. no curb .. NOTHING .. and a half mile drop straight down right at the edge of the road. It's butt-clenching time when you look over.

People who race on that are simply insane. :crazy:

I used to help out at the Tall Pines Rally in Canada when I was a kid and I was always amazed by the Audi Quattro's and there ridiculous amounts of power! I also remember one American driver - Carl something who had an insane Ford Cosworth. 700+ hp and a hideous purple paint job. Problem was, it was too powerful for the snowy conditions and he had a really hard time controlling the car.

I got a chance to ride in car '00'. It was a donated Audi Quattro. Brand new. No rally retrofits. Man we did some serious damage to that car. Audi never gave us a car again after that. :black_eye: I guess they weren't too happy when we ripped the oil pan out from under the car. :whistling:

On the first video, about 1.30 he hoes around a corner and feels he's about to lose it, so he overcorrects and boots it full of gas, you can tell he poos his pants for about 0.01 seconds ;o)

Amazing, incredible driving. No superlatives are useful to describe it ;o)