When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Submariner Comex 5514

lgking

I am looking for either a recomondation (or a stay away) for purchasing this watch:

Puretime's Rolex Submariner Comex 5514

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/vintage-comex-submariner-5514-best-edition/

I know the pictures show a dial with hour markers out of alignment with the minute markers. And I have email Puretime last week (no answer yet)...does anybody own one, and is the 'problem' fixed...?

I think it is such a great looking watch...!

This watch has some good features- the 2846-2 movement, the 93150 bracelet w/580 end pieces, decent bezel insert. Case and bezel are the same as the PT 1665- large lugholes and 2mm springbars.

Swap in a better dial if you have to, put on a smaller crown and trim the cg's and it would be a great beater. Maybe they'll fix the dial- then it would only be the crown and cg's which need work.

The laser etchings at 6 and 12 suck- keep the bracelet on!

Nikki Chen at Puretime (China) did get back to me to say they are investigating the dial. Changing out a dial and doing other mechanical things to my watches would be like performing my own dental sugury... I have to obtain watches all ready to go.

Alligoat,m you say that the case & bezel are a 1665, I thought this was a 1680 (thinner case) with an HE valve? I don't really care, if the dial is okay...otherwise, I will get the 1680 (white).

That gen on ebay is so nice!

Thats funny I never noticed the hour markers on that dial before but they are definatly off on that picture. Unfortunatly the watch has bigger problems. I was initially excited about this watch until i saw its the wrong case so i stopped investigating it. Its funny that its got the same case back as my correct 5514 from 5 years ago. If you want a comex then get the comex 1665 that Puretime has with the date window because the case is correct for that model. I'd avoid the 5514 for now until they correct all the flaws. You can swap out the dial, but when you have to swap out the case, you may as welll buy a different watch.

Actually Dizzy, I think you are right...wrong case. I am just after a vintage watch that looks correct.

Seems like some others on this forum rate the PT 1680-white very highly as it appears to have an acurate and clear dial printing. I am now looking for somebody in my neighborhood who can service the 2846...then I should be happy with a new daily beater.