When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Bell & Ross are the "best" and most accurate for the money?

DP8

I have sort of not been in the scene very much the past year or so, and have not been able to follow much. Just a quick question, as I am looking to purchase a B&R 01-92 PVD, Black Dial with the Swiss auto movement. Just curious who carries the "best" (if there is one) or if these are not really worth buying. Wanting to have something more simple and I like the military style look of them.

Thanks much! :victory:

Generally all the dealers have access to the same watches so look for one you like then pick the dealer you want to get it for you :)

Yeah. I am having Angus told me I should consider the Chrono version BR 01-94 with A7750 movement. So I think I shall do that in the near future

Thank you all for your help. Also one other thing, who is the guy (I bought one from him about 2 years ago) that makes the nice BOB straps? I have one on a PAM and I LOVE it and am looking for a "worn look" cream colored one.

If you're not in love with the square Bell & Ross designs, then the B&R 02 series is one of the best replicated watches out there.

My PVD coated 02

gallery_22602_8_33987.jpg

Agreed the 02 is a cracker hardly any tells if you get the ultimate.

BR01-92...Sead is the best dealer for this I have seen one of his at a GTG.

4 real hex lug screws in backcase

accurate PVD casing

good lume

good AR

Too big for me, but great looking watch again hardly any tells.

One month into my BR-03 92 black PVD (ETA) from Andrew, Loses only 3 seconds per day as compared to the GPS in my office. I consider that amazing! how ever its had a few issues, the hour hand was not set correctly so I had to pop the case to adjust it then I failed to put locite on the the case screws and am now down to three & the lume I would only give a 2 out of ten.

Hope this helpspost-11567-072566500 1283682249.jpg

• 1 month later...

I want to get a br01-94 with orange or yellow dials, who can I contact to get the "best" version, I.e. Good lume, accurate movement, etc.?

I have purchased a pam111 from david (something along those lines) a cpl of yrs ago but been MIA since, looking to find a good rep so I don't have to worry about it getting banged up on a daily basis.

Thanks!

i got into these a few months ago and started researching the 01-92 on the gen forums then relating the gens back to the reps on the rep forums and dealer sites.

The first thing I decided to avoid was the 01-94 mainly because the sunken DW and because the secs are at three the mod I would normally do couldnt be done.

So I then concentrated on the 01-92, I looked at PVD but this is hit and miss. In terms of durability and finish to gen PVD. So I dismissed that, though I have bought one with aftermarket PVD.

I then started looking at the SS 01-92s there are 3 options in terms of movement and gen ness. the 4813, 2892/4 and 2836. The latter is a smoother sweep at 25J unlike the 21J of the 2892. The 4813 can be noisy and judderey.

I looked and studied the gen sweep and knowing the 2836 sweep I decided on that, it is without doubt the closest, (though if you go 94 the subdial sweep is more jerky on the gen so the 2894 would work OK from a visual point of view) it turns out only one factory makes the 01-92 with 2836 this same factory only does the 1:1 case with real hex screws in the CB and the correct 1.3mm hex lug bars the other reps are not correctly sized.

Then I looked at dials of course the biggest issue with a black dial is it highlights the blue AR on the rep crystal which is very un genlike also the lume is not as good as gen in terms of colour though strength wise it can be.(B&R lume is very poor from a QC POV) If I could of got Chiefs AR and a relume I would of gone with one of these as it would be very obvious unless you didnt.

So this left the white dial 2836-2 which I bought, I removed the outside AR which means I have a gen look AR without blue. The lume is very good and correct colour to gen, its only small marker lume and hands. I then rebrushed the case as the finish looks nothing like the gen, its more obvious when you see the gens in your hand. I polished the edges and other areas and gave a brush sheen to all other places. I then resanded the screws on the face and polished them as much as I could with a dremel and rouge. These screws are highly polished on the gen but rouge isnt great at getting a high polish on SS you really need D9000 as its more for the harder metals the rouge is really for soft metals.

I ended up with what I think is the closest I can get to gen without going franken. IMHO. I am thinking of painting the frame of the hands as these are matt but the gen has a slight sheen close up and in strong sunlight. But next to each other they are indistinguishable unless your really anal ;) I also fitted gen lug bars so I am not worried so much about threading as the reps do!!!

Generally the font is slightly off (negligible) and the curve on the second hand is not the same size as gen again its very hard to spot without having the 2 side by side. Also the crown can not close properly on some so mae your QC pics show ful closure.

So in conclusion IMHO

If your prepared to recoat PVD and lume and AR go PVD with dark dial of your choice and 2836-2.Though PVD might not be necessary if you wear it in rotation and not in a knock about way. If you want minimal mods go SS 2836-2 with white dial then just need to do simple mods I mentioned.

That in my HO gives you the closest to gen :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...