When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling crown and tube experts...

polexpete

Since the Monte Carlo 7032 was only made for two years, 1970-1, the correct crown appears to be a 24-700 twinlock. Around that time it was replaced by the 701 for a very short time and finally the 24-702 which was used up until the early 80's.

The current 24-703 crown and case tube came out around '79-80 and was used in the 16800/16660 and retro fitted to 5513/5512/1680/1665's during service. The 703 is still in use today.

I have no earthly idea where you can find a 24-7000-0 case tube- few exist at this point.

A year or so ago, marsupilami made some 24-7020-0 case tubes for the 24-702-0 triplock Rolex crown. 24-702 crowns are around, I've bought a couple from moelarrycu- Mark Greenberg- on the bay.

If Rolex was to service a MC 7032 they'd install a 24-703 crown and tube.

As Alli said, the 7mm (dot-less) Twinlock 24-700 crown requires a 24-7000 tube

700_70000041.jpg

(Not for sale)

These were fitted to early Tudor & Rolex Subs/SDs (as well as other early-to-mid 60s Rolex sport models). Be aware that the 7000 tube thread pitch differs from later 7mm Triplock tubes, so, if you are retrofitting, the case will almost definitely require tapping (I do not know the tap size).

Yikes!!

That must be a pricey tube!! I know the 702 tubes are expensive but this one is much more rare. Fortunatly those of us who dont have access to such rare parts can get away with a modern Triplock, although this one is going to look GREAT once installed.

• 3 years later...

Updates for information on the tap size for the 700 crown tube. It is definitely NOT the same as the 703/702 tubes. 

E

Really?   I just installed a gen 700 twinlock tube.    I used a M3x0.35mm tap.  

It was snug, but went in fine (hey, talking about the tube here :) ).

I'm still looking for confirmation of the correct tap for a 8mm big crown tube.

Updates for information on the tap size for the 700 crown tube. It is definitely NOT the same as the 703/702 tubes. 

E

E,

Have you ever installed a 702 tube?  I have a few times.  Despite the correct tap being M3x.35, for some odd reason , EVERY 702 tube I've installed does not completely screw down fully.  The threads of the tube are ever so slightly wider than the tap itself..diameter-wise.  Almost like they are too pointy/sharp if you know what I mean.

The same goes for the twinlock.   As a result, the threads need to be "softened" down slightly with 800 grit paper to get the external thread diameter to be the same as the tap. 

The internal splines need to be reemed out, so why not the external threads.?   Its pretty much the only way i've been able to get 702 & 700 tubes to fit correctly.   installing these vintage tubes has always been a crude/non-elegant process.    

^^ I'll have to try that. I was abut to give up and sell the crown and tube and just go with the 702 setup. Btw, no issues installing the 702 tube with the m3x.35 in any of the cases. Also, Adrian's setup works well otb. I have information on the 8mm that Adrian sells at home. I can forward that to you. E

I'll be installing a gen 800 tube. If Adrians tube requires same set up, then please send it. I've installed one of Athaya's (newer) 8mm tubes before and it required a M4 x .35mm tap. I just have to assume that gen 800-0 tubes require the same.

Yup