When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"We're #4! We're #4! We're #4!"

HauteHippie

Come on!! All my American friends join in with me now!!

"We're #4! We're #4!! We're #4!!! We're ..."

---

U.S. slips to No. 4 in economic vitality

Friday, September 10, 2010 02:52 AM

By Simon Kennedy

Bloomberg News

LONDON - The United States slipped to fourth in the annual ranking of the world's most-competitive economies, in part because of its record budget deficit, while Switzerland retained the top spot, the World Economic Forum said yesterday.

The U.S. fell from second, a year after losing the No. 1 position for the first time since the Geneva-based organization began its current index in 2004. A budget shortfall of more than $1 trillion and public distrust of politicians were among the weaknesses in the world's largest economy.

"A number of escalating weaknesses have lowered the U.S. ranking over the past two years," the study of 139 nations showed. "A lack of macroeconomic stability continues to be the United States' greatest area of weakness."

Switzerland, home to drugmaker Novartis and food company Nestle, was credited for its innovation and business culture.

America's loss of competitiveness represents another obstacle to an economic recovery at the same time that President Barack Obama asks Congress to take up proposals to spend $50 billion to repair and rebuild transportation infrastructure and spur business investment and research.

"We want to put more Americans back to work rebuilding America - our roads, railways, runways," Obama said Wednesday in a speech at a Cuyahoga Community College campus in Parma, a suburb of Cleveland. "If we want to compete in this global economy, we need to rebuild this vital infrastructure."

The U.S. ranked 87th in macroeconomic stability, and American businesses also increasingly questioned the government's ability to avoid meddling in the private sector and viewed it as a wasteful spender, the forum said.

In its index of financial-market development, the U.S. fell to 31st from its 2008 ranking of ninth.

Switzerland held the premier position in the survey thanks to ranking fourth in the world in business sophistication and second in the ability to innovate, the forum said.

Sweden climbed two slots to second, passing Singapore, which remained third. Sweden was credited for its transportation and high level of ethical behavior. Singapore won points for its lack of corruption and the efficiency of its government.

Germany, Japan, Finland, the Netherlands, Denmark and Canada rounded out the top 10. Among the other Group of Seven economies, Britain and France each rose one spot, to 12th and 15th respectively, while Italy stayed 48th.

China rose to 27th from 29th.

The report is published each year by the organizers of the annual conference of business leaders, politicians and entertainers in Davos, Switzerland. It is based on 12 measures of competitiveness and an opinion poll of more than 13,500 business leaders.

I wonder where Switzerland would rank without all the Nazi gold they took and used for their own after the War. You can still detect the dental filling materials from millions of murdered Europeans in the gold from Switzerland.

:mellow:

That was a long, LONG time ago you know... :whistling:

It's sentiments like these that perpetuate the insanity. If we could all just move on, there'd be a lot less hate in the world.

I wonder where Switzerland would rank without all the Nazi gold they took and used for their own after the War. You can still detect the dental filling materials from millions of murdered Europeans in the gold from Switzerland.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...seriously we should blame those Austrians for that :g:

Besides there will never be any gold fillings in my mouth knowing that gold came from the concentration camps.......

The jew loving, Sarah palin hating raving liberal from Norway

gran :drinks:

LOL. How someone from Norway could care about Sarah Palin one way or the other is a little beyond me. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, folks, these "rankings" are certainly to be taken with a grain of salt. While it is certainly accurate to reflect the USA's rapid decline in this manner, the relative rankings of some countries, in my opinion, are highly debatable.

LOL. How someone from Norway could care about Sarah Palin one way or the other is a little beyond me. :rolleyes:

I know I know...dont forget my IQ is way way up there :rolleyes: and My mother and stepdad has lived in th US for the last 30 years....etc :drinks:

OK lets talk about Norway...ZAPA and the Mothers of invention would love Norway today

Survey ranks Norway best for mothers, U.S. 28th

Which country is best for mothers and their children? Norway, according to an annual report by Save the Children. And the United States? Way down the list at No. 28, below Estonia, Latvia and Croatia.

In compiling its 11th Mothers' Index, the charity analyzed factors that affect the health and well-being of women and children, including access to health care, education and economic opportunities. That's why Norway came out on top: Women are well paid, have easy access to contraception and are entitled to generous government-mandated maternity leave.

Dragging down the United States among its "developed" counterparts: High rates of maternal mortality (1 in 4,800) and infant mortality (8 per 1,000), low pre-school enrollment (61%) and one of the least generous maternity-leave policies in terms of duration and pay.

"A woman in the Unites States is more than five times as likely as a woman in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Greece or Italy to die from pregnancy-related causes in her lifetime and her risk of maternal death is nearly 10-fold that of a woman in Ireland," the report said.

As for infant mortality, "At this rate, a child in the US is more than twice as likely as a child in Finland, Iceland, Sweden or Singapore to die before his or her fifth birthday."

Following Norway in the top 10 are Australia, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, New Zealand, Finland, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.

Afghanistan sits at the bottom, behind Niger, Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Yemen, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Sudan, Eritrea and Equatorial Guinea.

They forgot a few things in their "report". The USA is dragged down by its anchor baby policy and open borders... "Amnesty International has called on US President Barack Obama to tackle soaring rates of maternal mortality and pregnancy-related complications that particularly affect minorities and those living in poverty." No big surprise that the left side of the bell curve is dragging us down, as usual. And it's not like regular middle-class Americans are cranking out babies anymore, either. Also, the birth rate in Bosnia is very low. So if most of their women aren't even having babies, and lots of our low-end women are having a lot of babies, then of course our mortality rate will be out of whack compared to theirs. But, I highly doubt that's the picture they want to paint. They want to paint a picture favorable to a political philosophy instead.

Mmmmmm, mmm. Tasty. Boy would I love to see an actual concerted effort on that side of the aisle to get behind that message, as well as a hardline stance and plan of action on illegal immigration -- and mean it. I'd drop the "Independent" label in a heartbeat. But, alas, when I look what they've got to offer me in November - Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina - I know there's a long way to go before that'll happen. <_< *sigh*

They forgot a few things in their "report". The USA is dragged down by its anchor baby policy and open borders... "Amnesty International has called on US President Barack Obama to tackle soaring rates of maternal mortality and pregnancy-related complications that particularly affect minorities and those living in poverty." No big surprise that the left side of the bell curve is dragging us down, as usual. And it's not like regular middle-class Americans are cranking out babies anymore, either. Also, the birth rate in Bosnia is very low. So if most of their women aren't even having babies, and lots of our low-end women are having a lot of babies, then of course our mortality rate will be out of whack compared to theirs. But, I highly doubt that's the picture they want to paint. They want to paint a picture favorable to a political philosophy instead.

the usa is not dragged down by any "anchor baby" policy. The garanteed citizenship of anyone born within the u.s. is also a huge part of our identity as a nation. Great grandpa O'donnell, McFarley and Corleone owe everything to our country's open borders and citizenship policy when they immigrated here..

Of course, back then in th 1800's you still had the then named American Republican Party ranting fear about german irish and catholic immigrants infecting american society and taking jobs from "true" americans....

History repeats itself yet once again.

As far as the "left" dragging down america... what do you propose Barack obama do to combat infant mortality among the lower soci-economic class in the U.S.? Oh that's right.. how about trying to make health care a priority?? Think he tried that.

Get off your political high horse and recognize that our problems as a country have nothing to do with the left or the right, and are everything to do with blaming others and denying any trace of personal responsibility for any problems that our nation has. The country is a lot like this forum.. A Giant community. As individuals we are ALL responsible for the communiity's shortcomings and it's accomplishments. Putting the country's shortcomings off on the "left-side" of the bell curve is ignorant and irresponsible. In my opinion we can either sit back and play the blame game or be men and take some responsbility for ourselves.

just my .02cents

the usa is not dragged down by any "anchor baby" policy.

Sure it is. Illegals flock to America now to give birth on American soil knowing that they'll then be able to stay and extract from various freebies like schooling and medical care.

The garanteed citizenship of anyone born within the u.s. is also a huge part of our identity as a nation. Great grandpa O'donnell, McFarley and Corleone owe everything to our country's open borders and citizenship policy when they immigrated here..

They presumably followed the rules and came to America legally. Go back and look at the purpose of the 14th Amendment. Its purpose was to provide citizenship to children of emancipated slaves. But those days are long gone, and birthright citizenship is no longer needed. The policy is being abused in a big, big way today, and is in need of reform.

As far as the "left" dragging down america... what do you propose Barack obama do to combat infant mortality among the lower soci-economic class in the U.S.?

I thought you were advocating personal responsibility? In that case, Barack Obama ought to do nothing and those who can not afford to have children ought to do the right thing..... and not have them.

Oh that's right.. how about trying to make health care a priority?? Think he tried that.

Tried and made a mess of it. God willing, the disaster he put in to place will be repealed shortly after the Dems are kick out in November.

Get off your political high horse and recognize that our problems as a country have nothing to do with the left or the right,

There is plenty of of blame to go around.

Putting the country's shortcomings off on the "left-side" of the bell curve is ignorant and irresponsible.

When did I say that? With regards to the specific discussion that related to infant mortality, yes, the data and facts bear this out. Why are you taking a specific discussion and turning it in to something generalized that was never stated?

Sure it is. Illegals flock to America now to give birth on American soil knowing that they'll then be able to stay and extract from various freebies like schooling and medical care.

Since when is medical care a "freebie" in america?

They presumably followed the rules and came to America legally. Go back and look at the purpose of the 14th Amendment. Its purpose was to provide citizenship to children of emancipated slaves. But those days are long gone, and birthright citizenship is no longer needed. The policy is being abused in a big, big way today, and is in need of reform.

And many immigrants presumably didn't arrive legally, what is your information based on? ellis island records? Of course the original purpose of birthright citizenship was not ONLY to provide citizenship to the children of emancipated slaves, but also the first 3 articles made the three-fifths compromise null and void. As a result, states with a large former slave populations were able to count emancipated slaves as population in order to gain more appointments in the house of representatives... The policy is no more abused or less abused than it previously has been. In fact, illegal immigration to america is in rapid decline if you compare it to a decade ago. Check the stats if you don't believe me.

I thought you were advocating personal responsibility? In that case, Barack Obama ought to do nothing and those who can not afford to have children ought to do the right thing..... and not have them.

I do advocate personal responsibility, but that is up to the person to take responsibilty, not for me to judge them on whether or not their responsibility matches up with what i personally think they should be doing. You can tell as many poor women as you want that it's irresponsible for them to have babies.. but it won't change the fact that they're having them. I agree with you in that barack obama should do nothing nor say anything to the matter of poor people not having babies, just like i believe it's not mine or your place to say who should have babies and who shouldn't.

Tried and made a mess of it. God willing, the disaster he put in to place will be repealed shortly after the Dems are kick out in November.

Yes, quite a disaster. but the problem can't be blamed on a single person. If you think barack obama is the problem we're far gone.

There is plenty of of blame to go around.

start with yourself, that's always the best place to start, because unlike blaming others, you can actually change your own actions.

When did I say that? With regards to the specific discussion that related to infant mortality, yes, the data and facts bear this out. Why are you taking a specific discussion and turning it in to something generalized that was never stated?

You didn't say that. I said it. And I'll say it again: In my opinion it's irresponsible to divide this country any further than it already is by putting the short-comings of our nation as a whole on any specific group of people (republican, democrat, facist, communist or otherwise). We're all to blame. The left side of the country has no more or less to do with this issue than the right. Infant mortality rate is one way to look at quality of life in america but you're also right in that statistics are only as good as your intrepetation is.

I apologize for "generalizing" the topic, but It sounds like (at least from what you've written), that you're blaming a lot of our problems in this country on "lower-end" (your word) citizens that have no business having babies, or coming to america in the first place (at least that's the opinion i gathered from you). I also get from your tone that the other half to blame in this problem would be the "left of the bell curve" people. To me, we're all to blame, and have shared responsibility.

As a side note: I consider myself a pretty left guy who loves capitalism but not when it comes to education, healthcare, or social welfare. at the same time, I'm also an american constitutionalist and support the right to bear arms for various ammoral reasons :)

@ chief: hopefully, my comments weren't taken too personally. The thread is engaging and a bit divisive but spirited no less.

Since when is medical care a "freebie" in america?

Visit an emergency room in a border state sometime, and get back to me.

And many immigrants presumably didn't arrive legally, what is your information based on? ellis island records? Of course the original purpose of birthright citizenship was not ONLY to provide citizenship to the children of emancipated slaves, but also the first 3 articles made the three-fifths compromise null and void. As a result, states with a large former slave populations were able to count emancipated slaves as population in order to gain more appointments in the house of representatives... The policy is no more abused or less abused than it previously has been. In fact, illegal immigration to america is in rapid decline if you compare it to a decade ago. Check the stats if you don't believe me.

Of course illegal immigration is in rapid decline. The USA is in rapid economic decline, heading towards collapse. The same opportunities don't exist today that did 10 years ago. But the problem is not about to solve itself. And the birthright citizenship clause needs to go. It has served its purpose and today only caters to abuse.

Yes, quite a disaster. but the problem can't be blamed on a single person. If you think barack obama is the problem we're far gone.

He's responsible for pushing us towards government control over healthcare by fiat. Healthcare itself is a problem that has been brewing for a long time, and what he's doing will make the situation much, much worse.

I apologize for "generalizing" the topic, but It sounds like (at least from what you've written), that you're blaming a lot of our problems in this country on "lower-end" (your word) citizens that have no business having babies, or coming to america in the first place (at least that's the opinion i gathered from you). I also get from your tone that the other half to blame in this problem would be the "left of the bell curve" people. To me, we're all to blame, and have shared responsibility.

Depends on the problem at hand. These days, the infant mortality rate in America is certainly skewed by the left side of the bell curve, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm just now seeing this response. Interesting views you have. Sound like the typical regurgitated talking points I hear everyday on Hannity and the O'reilly factor. (I'm a viewer of both, I agree with O'reilly about 70% of the time and Hannity about 30% of the time)

Visit an emergency room in a border state sometime, and get back to me.

No need Cheif. What exactly will visiting a border state hospital enlighten me to? So you're saying I'd see a lot of latinos? That's obvious. Visit a south west atlanta hospital.. you'll only see a lot of poor blacks and latinos. Sounds like you're assuming that because most patients in a border state hospital emergency room will be latino, that they must be illegal. Unless of course you visited a hospital and went to the medical director and asked him specifically how many of the latin american patients you saw had were illegals that couldn't pay.

Of course illegal immigration is in rapid decline. The USA is in rapid economic decline, heading towards collapse. The same opportunities don't exist today that did 10 years ago. But the problem is not about to solve itself. And the birthright citizenship clause needs to go. It has served its purpose and today only caters to abuse.

Same could be argued about a lot of things. Like the 2nd amendment. If you compare murders with guns from 1792 to murders with guns in 2010.. i'm sure you'll only see the curve go in one direction... UP! Nothings gonna change it, we love our constitution too much :) Birthright citizenship is just as much a part of our country's identity as the right to bear arms. If not, more important.

He's responsible for pushing us towards government control over healthcare by fiat. Healthcare itself is a problem that has been brewing for a long time, and what he's doing will make the situation much, much worse.

What exactly is he "doing" that will make anything worse than it is? You mean not giving pharmaceuticals unlimited control of medication prices? Not sure if you got the memo.. but by a WIDE margin, the sickest people in the country with the highest disease rates are generally not the richest... they're the poorest.

Depends on the problem at hand. These days, the infant mortality rate in America is certainly skewed by the left side of the bell curve, however.b

Skewed how by the left how? Infant mortality is what it is. The numbers are calculated the same for every country. Each country has an equal amount of "handicap" with the statistics, so you're saying that our infant mortality rate isn't painting a 100% accurate picture of our country? Neither is any other country's infant mortality rate. :g::confused:

Don't get me wrong Chief, I'm the first to admit our country is the greatest nation in the free world. We've got a lot to be proud of and a lot to be honored for. In my opinion there is no freer country than the home of the brave and land of the free.. But don't get caught up in the hot-air being spewed out by the American media machine. If you've got bright ideas, let them ring. Otherwise, you're just preaching to the choir.

• 2 months later...

Forgot about this thread.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this response. Interesting views you have. Sound like the typical regurgitated talking points I hear everyday on Hannity and the O'reilly factor. (I'm a viewer of both, I agree with O'reilly about 70% of the time and Hannity about 30% of the time)

I'm a viewer of neither. So, I dunno.

No need Cheif. What exactly will visiting a border state hospital enlighten me to? So you're saying I'd see a lot of latinos? That's obvious. Visit a south west atlanta hospital.. you'll only see a lot of poor blacks and latinos. Sounds like you're assuming that because most patients in a border state hospital emergency room will be latino, that they must be illegal. Unless of course you visited a hospital and went to the medical director and asked him specifically how many of the latin american patients you saw had were illegals that couldn't pay.

The fact of the matter is that uninsured people, of which illegals comprise a healthy percentage, utilize emergency rooms for everything from routine care, to obtaining flu remedies, to actual emergencies without any ability to pay. And right now, an emergency room can not refuse care... no matter what. So guess who picks up the tab.

Same could be argued about a lot of things. Like the 2nd amendment. If you compare murders with guns from 1792 to murders with guns in 2010.. i'm sure you'll only see the curve go in one direction... UP! Nothings gonna change it, we love our constitution too much :) Birthright citizenship is just as much a part of our country's identity as the right to bear arms. If not, more important.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. And "firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself."

What exactly is he "doing" that will make anything worse than it is? You mean not giving pharmaceuticals unlimited control of medication prices? Not sure if you got the memo.. but by a WIDE margin, the sickest people in the country with the highest disease rates are generally not the richest... they're the poorest.

The poorest also tend to engage in self-destructive activities that others do not. But that's not even the point. The point is about bringing down healthcare costs. And what you don't know is that costs have been driven up more significantly by government involvement in healthcare than by any other factor... and by a WIDE margin. There is a very, very similar parallel to rising healthcare costs to be found in runaway college tuitions, in fact. And in the interest of time, I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to make the connection, and grasp the big picture...

Skewed how by the left how? Infant mortality is what it is. The numbers are calculated the same for every country. Each country has an equal amount of "handicap" with the statistics, so you're saying that our infant mortality rate isn't painting a 100% accurate picture of our country? Neither is any other country's infant mortality rate. :g::confused:

Skewed by the left side of the bell curve... not on the political spectrum, but on the socioeconomic spectrum. We've imported third world refugees at a tremendous rate compared to other developed countries, and that not only hurts our numbers but makes an apples to apples comparison to them impossible.