When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In Remembrance of 9/11

Utheman

As a immigrant that came to the US on the Cuban Freedom Flights in 1970, my family and I have lived and experienced life under a repressive radical regime...so I have a very unique experience of what "Liberty" and "Freedom" really feels like compared to the opposite. I am a US citizen since the 70's, and as a child I remember taking the oath to Honor and Defend this land, though I was not born here...this is the country that raised me and has provided for me, and I will defend it until death against any enemy foreign or domestic...and the tradition of serving this country continues with my son who is currently serving in the Navy and back from a tour in Afghanistan.

We as Americans are no where near perfect, but this country provides something that very few others do....we provide freedom, tolerance and opportunity for anyone to become the best that they can be....where any dirt poor immigrant can get a college degree and go on to be CEO of a corporation....it can and does happen here in America....few countries can say the same.

My hope on this day, every year, is that ALL people around this globe realize that what happened on September 11th was not only an attack on America....but much more so...it was an attack on "Freedom", "Liberty" and the way of life that all free people should strive for....liberty and freedom of expression, freedom of Religion...Even to NOT believe in a Religion...and not have to fear of being put to death!

These religious backwards radicals could have very well flown those planes in Parliament, Eiffel Tower, the Kremlin, etc. And specifically our Muslim brothers need to rise up and be more vocal and proactive against the radical and middle-ages mentality that has hi-jacked their religion. Radical and extremist views from any religion has been the cause of so many deaths throughout the centuries.....I wonder sometimes if humanity would be better off if organized religion was never invented? No other organized institution has caused more polarization and deaths over centuries than organized religion. You can be spiritual and believe in a higher being....but what we have to fight against is when that mentality is organized into a large mass and then hi-jacked to serve the cause of warped individuals...religion then becomes a weapon, and the weak minded individuals are it's bullets and bombs.

So on this day, I mourn for all those folks in NYC, Pennsylvania & DC that perished because of the continued radicalization of religion...I mourn for the very fact that there are countries and individuals around the world that continue to be brain-washed (even as children) by the teachings of their radical leaders....teachings from warped men that interpret religious texts to serve their own warped purposes. :angry:

Sorry for the rant...I'll get off my soap box now....

Great stuff, Utheman.

btocamelo, thanks for sharing your thoughts and personal experience. I recall that less than 30% of the world's Muslim countries were willing to denounce the acts that occurred in the name of Islam on 9/11/2001. So you could not be more on the mark. And, I'm proud to have you as my country-mate.

"Never forget"