When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are rep movements backwards

Epanoui

Seems to me like almost every gen rolex I've handled has had the winding direction turn in the same direction of the crown, i.e., clockwise.

Yet all rep movements, both Asian and Swiss are opposite.

Seems weird that we are so fanatical about the tiniest of details when one of the largest inconsistencies goes untalked about. Thoughts?

Seems to me like almost every gen rolex I've handled has had the winding direction turn in the same direction of the crown, i.e., clockwise.

Yet all rep movements, both Asian and Swiss are opposite.

Seems weird that we are so fanatical about the tiniest of details when one of the largest inconsistencies goes untalked about. Thoughts?

All my genuine Rolex watches has the same winding direction and that is clockwise and have not found any movement ( even replica ones !) that not does winds up clockwise.

The main reason why we dont obsses about this is that is does not have anything to to with the visual appearance,

you can not tell when the watch is on the wrist or in a macro shot wheter its sets the hands in the right way via the crown or not.

Really not a big issue for me, cant change the fact if you dont get a genuine movement.

Just my 0.002

Cheers

Mike

I think you are taking realism a bit too far, if some one is watching me that close when i set my watch or is in a dark room with me and will say my lume is too bright or dim then he is close enough to fall over clutching his nose and pick up his teath for being rude!

I understand you are posting this in the context of the Rolex sub-forum, but one reason is probably that a majority of "GENS" out there are based on ETA movements. Therefore it is not surprising the factories emulate ETA movements first and foremost. Take a Panerai based 6497 movement based watch. If you want a "Gen" time setting feel there you go.

Visual Accuracy should be #1 priority.

I agree that visual should be #1, I guess is just surprises me is all seeing how I believe Rolex to be the #1 replica'd brand, that at least one factory wouldn't produce an Asian movement that set in the right dirrection.

I think I'd rather have an Asian movement that set right than a backwards Swiss.

I'm not sure I buy that...all my watches including GEN and REP Rolex and Panerai auto movements wind in the same direction (clockwise, when you are looking straight at the crown)...and I have plenty with A7750, 2836, 2824, 2893, Rolex 3135....all wind by turning the crown clockwise when the crown is in the #1 position (unscrewed). I don't have any DG movements to compare.

Now...when you adjust the hour...that is a different story....even in the GEN Rolex movements 3135 adjusts the hour/min hand by turning the crown clockwise...whereas 3035 movement adjustment is made by turning the crown counterclockwise.

Edited by btocamelo

Now...when you adjust the hour...that is a different story....even in the GEN Rolex movements 3135 adjusts the hour/min hand by turning the crown clockwise...whereas 3035 movement adjustment is made by turning the crown counterclockwise.

...and there you have it. Not even Rolex is consistent.

It just seems odd to me it's so overlooked. Is it really that hard to make a movement that sets the correct direction?

Ummm... yes.

Have you looked at the amount of space you have to work with? You'd have to jam another entire wheel in there somehow to reverse the direction, you're talking about developing a whole new movement. This is not something that you can change by adding a plate on top and a couple of extra gears.