When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai "Colpo di Felmine"

mastergod

Hi all,

From the Department of weird steampunk tools:

The idea: I like the Nostrum, but dislike sub-dials and blank bezels. So I though I'd retro-engineer something functional into the weird and wacky arsenal of vintage Panerai warfare equipment. Came up with the less known sister of MARE NOSTRUM, the COLPO DI FELMINE.

post-2870-022960600 1284378690.png

The function: 1943: You're performing a high-altitude-low-opening parachute-jump or climbing the Navarone mountain when a thunderstorm's comin' :whistling: When you see the flash of the lightning, you press the 2 o'clock pusher, starting the centre counter hand. Seconds later, when you hear the thunder, press stop. Reading the numbers on the bezel, you see how many .kilometers away the thunderstorm is!!!

The name: "Colpo di Felmine" means "thunderbolt" or "struck by lightning". It also means "struck with love (at first sight)". I thought this would resonate with the paradoxes of "military folklore" (girls-names for weapons etc) and also resonate the sound and meaning of "Mare Nostrum", which similarly folkloristic translates to "our home the sea"

:boat:

The dial: Resembles compass. Would be printed on matte side of transparent foil and "backlit" w/ vintage colour lume.

The bezel: 1/1 and 1/2 kilomers distance to thunderstorm (The rule is 1 km pr 3 secs). Waterslide decal, lumed underneath if possible?

The hands: (not shown) blue hrs & mins from nostrum rep, new blue bigsecs hand similar to the one on nostrum, but three times the size (found an old blue boiler gauge needle).

Glass: Hoping to find a bigenough sternreuz hws.

Case: Beat-up & then beadblasted

Strap: Grey vintage leather w/ blasted GPF.

My opinion: Loved designing it. Funny [censored]. Taps into dreams. It's willfully silly in it's "hardlyness" of utility, but so is the Arktos. Problem: I don't think it looks vintage enough, especially the bezel. Shame it doesn't measure meters (to do this it would need two secs hands, one of which to do one revolution per second and that's outta the league of everyone I know)

:blowup:

FEEDBACK ON HOW TO MAKE IT MORE VINTAGE OR "BELIEVABLE" WELCOME!

:wub: mg

I haven't seen that you changed it...in italian it's correct "FULMINE" not "FELMINE"...and then we wonder how the chinese people make mistakes in writing and engraving such things on the cases of our beloved reps!

Hi dadog,

You are correct, it has not been changed on the sketch yet! Thanks a lot for setting me straight,

mg