When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Complete Bezel Assembly for WM9's

CaptainJack

Hello all,

Just bought a used WM9 V3 that had some wear on it, which was not a problem, kinda what I wanted for a knock around watch.

But I gotta tell you that what showed up was less than stellar.

I guess the big tell on this watch is the outer, fluted bezel. It's scallops and cut angles are terrible, at least to me.

I have a gen bezel insert, but wouldn't waste it on this bezel.

I found a site for complete bezel assemblies, EWATCHPARTS.com, and I'm curious if anybody has bought their bezel set? I was hoping

they had a more accurate cut on the outer bezel. I may just buy it to get it here to look at it and see if it's any better.

I know I probably had my hopes set too high for a rep to match a gen, but everyone has such glowing reports on the WM9

that I took the plunge. Sitting here next to my gen 16613, well lets just say it doesn't compare when you look at the top end.

And I don't want to even get into the pull out functions (or lack there of) of the ETA movement or a 10x Lupe view of the printing on the face.

Jack

Somehow your appraisal/review/opinion of the BK WM9 v3 doesn't seem consistant with many others I've read.

And I certainly cannot say the same for the BK WM9 v2 that I've recently acquired.

The v2 is impressive enough for me to have immediately begin searching (and purchasing..Thnx. cableguy)a gen bezel insert, as well as a gen crown and (possibly) a gen crystal.

I would agree that it is not consistent with popular opinion. I was waiting for the last five months to get one from BK for those reasons and finally bought a used one.

It is also why I PM'd BK about the history of this watch and his thoughts on my observations. I think I'm the third owner, after number two did a catch and release.

Let me ask you about your V2, because I can't find a picture anywhere on the forums. Are the sides of your bracelet links polished or satin?

I can't remember what my early 2000's gen sub looked like, but my gen 16613 are mirror polished like the side of the watch body.

And how much of a edge is there at the point where your insert seats to the bezel; is it a minor bump or a speed bump like on my V3?

I guess it's not a good idea to set a gen next to a rep and start comparing.

Oh, by the way, both my gen and the WM9 are Z models.

Jack

Somehow your appraisal/review/opinion of the BK WM9 v3 doesn't seem consistant with many others I've read.

And I certainly cannot say the same for the BK WM9 v2 that I've recently acquired.

The v2 is impressive enough for me to have immediately begin searching (and purchasing..Thnx. cableguy)a gen bezel insert, as well as a gen crown and (possibly) a gen crystal.

The reviews done by member By-tor on the RWI and RG forums have some VERY nice pics of both the v2 and v3 versions, with the v3, of course, being KING.

Comparing to a gen isn't something I've afforded the luxury of being able to do and based upon how critical some gen owners can get when comparing the reps and the gens side by side, I can't be certain if mine would be considered a minor or drastic bump where the bezel meets the crystal. I would call it close to 1/32 of an inch and minor as the crystal seems to have a slight outward taper towards the bezel at the most outer edge of it's diameter. The sides of the case and clasp on mine are polished, everything else has a brushed finish.

What I've found on the v2 that would indicate "attention to detail" is that there doesn't seem to be any drastically different in comparing it to pictures of a gen sub of that era.

"F" serial number on the v2 would suggest that it replicates the gens manufactered between mid 2003 through early 2005 when the D series took over.

I wouldn't expect too much from eWatchparts. This is the same as wholesaleoutlet990/watchbandman50/jewelryoutlet550. AKA Mr. Slimeball. Try not to spend too much money with him, because you may just be throwing it away.

Certainly it's best if you can source a gen assembly, but they are hard to come by and typically expensive. What I did on my ETZ 16610- A serial with lugholes, is get a gen crystal retention ring. Then I got a couple of aftermarket bezels- one from A and E watches and another from a place I'd have to go dig up the name of. Both were tight fits- I'd press them on with the crystal press, but they wouldn't turn. So I went to sanding by hand with a piece of 340 wet dry sand paper. Sand the inside bottom edge of the bezel so that it will snap over the crystal retention ring. The flat washer and the click spring are also in there, but they weren't a problem. Eventually one of the bezels snapped on and would turn. The only problem at that point was that I couldn't get the gen insert to seat in there and ended up using an aftermarket insert which snapped right in there. I have an older gen insert with tritium pearl and I may sand the edge of it some day and try to fit it in there, but for now I'm just going to put some mileage on the aftermarket insert and enjoy the watch- it is WR at this point. It's the one on the bottom in this dirty pic

P1010056.jpg

One night I was fooling around and removed the bezel from my gen 16800. It snapped right on the ETZ 16610. Of course, bezel assemblies for the 16800 and the 16610 are exactly the same. I've found with aftermarket parts that the fit and finish isn't quite as good as with gen parts. You also might see if BK would sell you another bezel- maybe it would work better.

BTW, finish on the sides of a gen 16610 bracelet are brushed. 16613 sides are polished.

Hello all,

I found a site for complete bezel assemblies, EWATCHPARTS.com, and I'm curious if anybody has bought their bezel set? I was hoping

they had a more accurate cut on the outer bezel. I may just buy it to get it here to look at it and see if it's any better.

STAY AWAY. theyre wholesaleoutlet on ebay. i bought a replacement retaining ring and bezel assembly from them for my WM9, didnt fit well enough, allowed condensation to form under the crystal. i dont believe you can swap the bezel ring without also replacing the retaining ring, otherwise it will not fit correctly. unless youre replacing 100% genuine parts with other genuine parts. point is nothing ive bought from wholesale outlet has EVER FIT properly , their T19s DO NOT fit either, the outer diameter is fractionally too wide, i own a gen T19 and it fits the MBK perfectly. only thing i've ever bought from them that was actually decent was 2mm pin bars. I hear their return policy is also a hassle, although i didnt have a hard time returning that bezel assembly. they dont keep their feedback on ebay private for no reason.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=wholesaleoutlet990&Dirn=Received+by&Many=ON&ref=home

each one 100% deserving no doubt.

his response to anything that anyone comments as being poor or ill-fitting

"SOLD THOUSANDS OF THESE WITH NO PROBLEMS"

search for "mr.slimeball" in the forum archives.

back to the bezel ring... ive heard other members mention the bezel ring on their wm9s and im afraid the only solution may be to go $400-$800 gen price route like many members have, if it bothers you that much, but whats next? the clasp extension holes not being drilled wide enough? which theyre not... closest most accurate 16610 but still not perfect.

I wouldn't expect too much from eWatchparts. This is the same as wholesaleoutlet990/watchbandman50/jewelryoutlet550. AKA Mr. Slimeball. Try not to spend too much money with him, because you may just be throwing it away.

Thanks for that heads up, I had guessed as much when they replied to my request for a larger photo of their bezel with a email link to a single small photo on their web site.

BTW, finish on the sides of a gen 16610 bracelet are brushed. 16613 sides are polished.

Well, at least that's right :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jack

back to the bezel ring... ive heard other members mention the bezel ring on their wm9s and im afraid the only solution may be to go $400-$800 gen price route like many members have, if it bothers you that much, but whats next? the clasp extension holes not being drilled wide enough? which theyre not... closest most accurate 16610 but still not perfect.

I'm going to have to wait till I see what an unaltered bezel from WM9 looks like before I go that route.

The one on this watch looks like someone took it to a buffing wheel!

I'm going to try to post pictures tonight after I get some close-ups. This can't be a normal WM9 bezel.

Jack

Finally a side by side comparison!

I've been pondering this WM9 for a day now, and even if the previous owner hadn't polished the sharpness off

the outer edge of the bezel machining, I don't think I'd be happy even with a fresh WM9 bezel.

I went ahead and posted a WTB gen assembly on all three forums just a bit ago to see if anyone has the set, new or used.

Missed a beautiful used set sold by watcher a month ago, only can hope another is out there at a price that won't be too

painfull.

Thanks Frank,

Jack

here is a pic WM9 V1 vs GEN - i find the bezel not so bad ..

DSC02853.jpg

cheers,

Frank

not to create a polemic, but you suspect wholesaleoutlet990/watchbandman50/jewelryoutlet550 to sell junk, these parts are made to match with genuine watches not rep,

and on a retaining plexi/bezel ring, 1/10 of a mm make a big diffrence

Edited by Rolexaddict

not to create a polemic, but you suspect wholesaleoutlet990/watchbandman50/jewelryoutlet550 to sell junk, these parts are made to match with genuine watches not rep,

and on a retaining plexi/bezel ring, 1/10 of a mm make a big diffrence

but when your rep is made to match with gen, and youve installed gen parts flawlessly, you know there's a problem.

your first clue is when a 100% gen insert wont fit over their supposedly built like gen Tropic 19s. when their retaining ring fits to loose over gen 295c crystals and gaskets allowing in condensation you cant tell me its built to gen spec.

you dont have to take my word for it, send your money on an adventure. :)

proof pudding.

WO "modern service T19"(the only model they sell) with an early 80s/service genuine 5513 insert. wont fit. generic mbk 5513 insert same outcome, another generic aftermarket made to fit, same outcome. wont fit means it wont install, which also means if forced the bezel wouldnt turn. would be interesting to see if their own house brand 5513 insert would fit over their crystal. and if you think this is an isolated , mistake of shipping or something, this isnt the first time this model T19 from them hasnt fit. firstly i thought it might have been my reps like you said, but once i started sourcing gen parts it was clear... plus given their track record and my experience with their retaining ring. their T19s even warped my retaining ring beyond redemption when trying to fit it, it also cracked their crystal along the side slightly. im done with WO as everyone here should be as well. i will only order 2mm pinbars from them, and only if i cant find some from someone like Clark first. the low price and cost of return shipping has let me collect these rather than return these. youve been warned.

5059745234_d265e55766.jpg

next

same gen insert, over a Rolex T19 crystal, flawless fit.

5059745300_ab82acef64.jpg

for OPs interest. WM91 vs 2 bezel rings

v2 on the left, bezel teeth are much deeper and defined

5059132171_6722c0566b.jpg

5059745438_dae9fdabd9.jpg

5059745376_f16cd377c8.jpg

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

OK, now I think I know why this V3 of mine is so "off".

From your pictures, it looks like mine has a V1 bezel that has been buffed.

The first tell should have been the watch case marring at the seven o'clock lug.

I took some close up pictures last night and I'll try to post them tonight to get

some input on this thread.

Sure hope I'm wrong about this, otherwise there might be issues....

Thanks highoeyazmuhudee for the shots.

Jack

for OPs interest. WM91 vs 2 bezel rings

v2 on the left, bezel teeth are much deeper and defined

5059132171_6722c0566b.jpg

5059745438_dae9fdabd9.jpg

5059745376_f16cd377c8.jpg

Um, chief, that's an "aftermarket", as in rep, for $400.

At that price, I'm a c note or two from a gen.

I'm looking for a gen on all three forums, but right now my focus is

on the V3 I got and weither or not it's been altered before it was sold.

Jack

Heya Capt. That's some good info. Thanks for posting.

My link

Try these guys for your bezel assembly.

I stumbled acrossed these while searching to confirm the Rolex 315-16800-81 bezel is genuine.