When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial dots

Dizzy

I am going to be adding an NDT dial to an ETA 2846 movement and Im going to need some dial dots. Where is a good place to order them from? I see Ofrei has them but his shipping charge is $29 to canada. Thats just rediculous. Any better place to buy them?

What shape dots do i need? I see them come in round, rectangle and curved bar shape.

dizz

I bought both "dots" and the "curved". If you are not in a really big hurry maybe somebody could add some to their next order and then mail 'em a lot cheaper than $29! I would imagine they are sending via USPS Express Mail which is pretty ridiculous...

You don't need "dots".

They are just double sided (very strong) tape.

We sell a roll of tape- 6mm wide, which can be then cut to size.

http://watchbitz.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=260&zenid=95d72aebc298128ada921e623bf52bd0

You would do thousands of redials with this one roll.

Offshore

maybe Double Sided Scotch Tape....the clear type, my wife uses it for scrap booking photos onto paper....cut the tape in whatever shape or piece you want.

The key is to use a tape that has the proper thickness, not too thick so the dial is too separated from the DW.

maybe Double Sided Scotch Tape....the clear type, my wife uses it for scrap booking photos onto paper....cut the tape in whatever shape or piece you want.

The key is to use a tape that has the proper thickness, not too thick so the dial is too separated from the DW.

Agreed on DS tape (as above) however it needs to be VERY strong...I searched for quite sometime to find a tape strong enough to use.

And YES, thickness is also an issue.

Another method, (although frowned on by some) is to use minute dobs of silicon...just make sure none finds its way where it shouldn't be!!

O/S

@offshore - how thick is the tape on the website?

Its not unlike D/S scotch tape to look at...its about .011mm. thick. ( .018mm with the cover strip on)

It does have a more substantial feel than scotch tape however, its almost as if once the cover strip is peeled off, all you are left with is a glue base, with no actual tape in there.

I, and some other local watchmakers have used it successfully over the last 12 months, and we have probably sold 100 rolls all over the place, and have not had one complaint or reaction.

O/S

Just checked the suppliers promo. Its called a 'high performance acrylic tape"

Dizzy...if you want a sheet of dial strips...send me a PM...I'm in Canada also...

offshore...is your tape the same as this? If so, I'm going to pick some up!

http://www.uline.ca/...e-Transfer-Tape

@chiman,

No the one we sell is 6mm wide X 50m, and comes out of Japan.

I saw a roll of it on a watchmakers bench, maybe 18 months ago, and took details of the specific brand and model, and I get it in from overseas.

I'm guessing it is a "high performance" tape, not unlike that however.

O/S