When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did the gen 1665s come just with a dome crystal?

Prsist

Well, there are a couple of crystals out there for the 1665; the original 'Superdome' 25-39, a medium domed 25-39, a service 25-39 which has a slight dome, raised sides and a bevel at the edge, etc.

There are no flat topped crystals available for the 1665 (genuine or otherwise to my knowledge), if by flat the defined surface is actually flat (a la the 25-127 on the 1680)...

Did they ever come with a flat top crystal?

Have a look here : http://www.cresus.fr/montres/montre-occasion--sea_dweller_mark_iii_double_red,r2,p8903.html

this is a shop at 5 minutes from my home, I handled this watch, no super dome, no blablabla about shawed crown guards, or -this and that- etc.

use the 360

Rolexaddict - I am not clear on what your point (regarding rep watches) is?

But, as far as the watch posted on the site you linked goes, it looks like a gen with an aftermarket (or incorrect gen) crystal. Like Ubi said, 1665s came with some variation of a domed crystal. The domed shape was not accidental or simply an aesthetic choice by Rolex. It actually increased the crystal's strength, allowing it to remain intact as the surface pressure (against the crystal) increased when the watch was taken/worn at deeper depths.

Rolexaddict - I am not clear on what your point (regarding rep watches) is?

But, as far as the watch posted on the site you linked goes, it looks like a gen with an aftermarket (or incorrect gen) crystal. Like Ubi said, 1665s came with some variation of a domed crystal. The domed shape was not accidental or simply an aesthetic choice by Rolex. It actually increased the crystal's strength, allowing it to remain intact as the surface pressure (against the crystal) increased when the watch was taken/worn at deeper depths.

You beat me to it. The dome ain't no accident. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ali-

That's not what I would call a Superdome, per se. The raised sides are more characteristic of the later service replacement. The Superdome is more like your first image:

Thanks for the clarification, RS. By the time the GWSD came around, I was under the impression they no longer were using the superdome. If the first pic is a SD, it's very similar to PT's domed crystal and close to Nanuq's SD. I always thought the SD had taller sides. Anyway, at least I'm enjoying my aftermarket service replacement on my GWSD- I'm just happy it's WR for swimming, jet skiing and wadefishing. What good's a fake Rolex if you can't go in the water with it?

Bear in mind the height of the side walls is also determined by the "flatness" of the bezel insert. In my photo the insert to the right is much flatter so the side walls look taller. The insert on the left watch has more of a pronounced "dish" to it so that covers a bit of the side wall. Compare the "30" on each one to see the difference. That easily masks a lot of the side wall height difference.