When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2010 DSSDV5 Review

P4GTR

The watch has been reviewed in depth a few times now since it's showed up on the scene with gusto. I will post some pics, give my impressions, and provide some observations hopefully without repeating whats already been said.

DSSD 2010V5, clone ETA

IMG_4852BWSIG.jpg

I like the Rolex Deep Sea. Since slapping its meaty self upon us at Baselworld 2008, it slowly grew on me. I'm not quite ready to drop $8K on the gen, nor was I even interested in keeping up with the Jones's at $450 a pop with V1-2-3-4-5 add infinitum. Trevor has a version known as the 2010V5 that hits all of the major notes, for about $260. I bit.

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

The watch is substantial. This is the Rolex for guys that prefer Panerai and breitling. This particular version, at least my particular piece, has a nice fit and finish. Perfectly fit end links between the lugs, firm bezel action, and a quality bracelet. The steel is obviously brighter next to say, a noobmariner. There is a visual difference.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

Dial print is fairly well done. The date is not perfectly centered, however most of my pictures don't do it justice as it is only off to the right slightly, not low or high as some pictures make it out to be (like the next one below). The lume is decent. It glows the proper color, hands match the hour markers, however they have a gloss finish as apposed to the matte finish on the gen.

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg

The bezel is executed very well. Most people complain about the flat pearl, but it would take a close look by a trained eye to spot, and is very easy to mod. The print on the OGEV/RLS does not appear heavy as some have mentioned, my particular example is well done. The surface which it is printed on could be finished better. Rehaut engravings are not excessively deep, and would take a very up close look by a scrutinizing individual to ascertain any inconsistencies, mainly due to the convex crystal.

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4881.jpg

Nice attention to detail throughout. The caseback although two-piece, is not titanium. Whatever the coating is, needs to be taken care of and may need to be refinished eventually somehow. The HEV valve presses inwards and will require silicone sealing if you are on the road towards waterproofing this model.

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

The bracelet is well done but it's more complicated design poses some inherent risks for trouble. My divers extension needed the attention of two wrenches in order to prevent unwanted deployment. The screw heads are not quite precision grade, however I had no problems with them being cross threaded.

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

Overall I am confident that the bracelet is something that will hold up. It appears to be well crafted. The etchings are good (8/10), the Rolex insignia itself could use a darker shade of black paint (easy fix).

The movement is losing 7-9 seconds per day. My particular piece failed a 5ATM pressure test, the crystal although seated flush, was the source of the problem. I really had hoped this piece in particular would be swimming pool ready, but out of the box it is not.

That is all I have for now. This is an excellent DSSD, as good as any available as of this review. With any rep you take the good with the bad, the DSSD's are of course no different. Decide which flaws bother you the most, compare what is available, and choose an example that has the least of them.

I have some unresolved problems with Trevor in regards to this watch, due to it requiring repair beyond my capabilities on arrival. I am not endorsing him as a dealer, just reviewing the watch. I want to be clear that he did offer to repair the watch if I sent it back, I however chose to have it repaired myself for my own convenience and sanity (which I stated prior to him offering to repair/refund). His after sales support have been sub-par in my personal opinion. Please read his review section and make your own determinations. If things are resolved with regards to this transaction, this paragraph will be updated to reflect any positive/negative changes.

Thanks for looking! Questions/comments are welcomed.

Nice review. This one sounds like mine. I haven't gotten any opinions from the other folks here, but mine is also a 2010 V5. It came from ETZ right before they went AWOL. Mine also failed a pressure test, air escaping around the crystal. It's just too bad that they can't make a watch, that is super water resistant in the genuine model, that will pass a 5 atm pressure test.I'm wondering if it is possible to make this watch water resistant?

Thanks for your review and thoughts on this well done rep. I agree with your statement about the DSSD being for guys who like Pams and Breitlings,holds true for me anyway. I just picked up this same model last week and like It very much. Although not perfect it is close In many reguards. I have the eta 2836 In mine and it Is keeping excellent time,most accurate timekeeper out of all my automatics atm. Thanks again for the insightful review :drinks: Mike

love the pics you've taken of this watch, i hope you manage to get your issues with trevor, resolved to your satisfaction.

having seen pics and reviews like your i finally decided to pay up and go (30th sept) :whistling: for this version... forgot to factor in national holiday which seems to have been 7 days long, so i'm still waiting on QC pics and then shipping... hope the watch is as stunning as those who have received this version say it is.