When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ploprof V2 Loose Deployant Clasp Fix

Martyd3

Problem solved ... maybe :)

The consensus is that weak button springs cause the divers deployant to self-deploy. With that being said, stronger springs should solve the problem.

I found this while looking for a source of small springs.

http://garagegunsmit....php&f=33&t=268

So, I started a scavenger hunt. First I found a mostly empty can of compressed air. Tore into it. I think the fumes are toxic, btw. Great spring, but it was too big. Then I tore apart a couple of ball point pens. Right size, but not strong enough. Found another can of something ... half full. I think it was Pledge. Got yelled at by wifey. Kept looking ... found a bic lighter. Don't tear into this one unless you are sure it's empty. Yes, I now know this first hand.

Low and behold, it has two springs! :thumbsupsmileyanim: One for the flint and one for the plunger. The plunger spring is a beefy little guy, but too big. The flint spring looked about perfect. It is slightly wider than the clasp spring (you really can't tell from the pic) and its pretty strong. I cut two that were slightly longer than the clasp springs. I popped them in and they seem to work perfectly. It takes more force to push the button and there is a much more satisfying click when you move the deployant. It definitely stays put now. I guess the proof will be if it still says put a month from now.

Just in case you did not see my original post, I found this on RWI. It's very important that you file the teeth on the push button to make them more defined.

http://www.replica-w...html#post598817

The small spring is the original clasp spring. The long spring is the flint spring (both ends have been cut to make

the new clasp springs).

standard.jpg

Refiled teeth

standard.jpg

Well done Marty! Just one small concern...what are they made of? Sweat and possibly saltwater could make them rust badly...

Dean

I have no idea. We shall see ...

It's got to be better than spending $270 on a gen clasp :) Other than this problem, it seems to be well made.

Guys,

I've gotten a couple of questions about taking the clasp apart. It will come apart fairly easily if you depress the glide lock button and give it a good pull, with a little downward force at the end. You do need to remove both of the small screws to install the new springs. Depress the button while unscrewing the screws and be careful, the screws are very small and can go flying if you release the push button too soon. Once lost, you will never find them!

Marty

Hi All,

There is another answer that I did, instead of replacing the existing spring

I put an additional spring inside the existing to increase the strength.

You will find that the spring inside a bracelet/strap spring bar will fit

inside the existing you only need to cut it to the right length, works really

well on my bracelet.

Regards RICHARD

• 1 month later...

Just followed ThinkBachs tute from RWI (found in his V1 Vs V2 compare) and it's working perfectly now. Here's what i posted in his thread:

You're a champion! Thanks for this, you just saved me $268!

I Just replaced the springs (with flint spring from small size Bic) and it works a treat!

Of note is that i only filed enough to round the corners down on the push button. This filing cannot be seen when reassembled. I cut the springs to about 2mm taller than the original ones when not compressed.

Thoroughly recommend for your v2.

Hello im usually a rolexman but have recently bought the v2 ploprof and think this is an amazing replication i had problems with the clasp coming undone and put some oil on it as the buttons were not going back to there position freely

but i have a problem the clap divers extension sometimes slides out is there any fix for this?

as i said i am mostly with rolex (subs) but when a friend came into my workshop wearing a gen ploprof i had to try it on then i was hooked! and decided to get the v2 , im hoping to take some photos of the gen next to the rep this im sure as already been done!

I bought my V2 from Marty and after a few weeks the clasp began to slip pretty badly. I simply took my Dremel and CAREFULLY deepened the teeth (which I think he'd already filed a bit) and it now locks tight. Looks and, most importantly, functions exactly like a genuine clasp now. :)

Edited by OI812

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Was facing the same problem on my new V2 ploprof.

Did not use a beercan or a lighter flint spring, but simply a 5mm strip of self adhesive velcro (the soft side, that is ;-) on the non-moving part of the replica omega clasp.

Is rock solid now.

Pics available at https://www.dropbox....3ja1/xTPdvDeSAW

Edited by srekveld