When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How are the bracelets on PT's 1665 Great White?

Prsist

Its an ok bracelet with an average quailty clasp. Not as good as the noobfactory or hollow MBW bracelets. If you are building a nice franken then plan on replacing it with a better one. The hollow links are nice and loose and after some oiling it wasnt too bad, and mine came with 280 end links that fit gen 2mm bars, but the clasp was quickly replaced with an old MBW one.

The watch is a nice cheap base for modding but its no MBW. But at less than half the price (especially with the ETA 2846 with silver datewheel) you cant lose.

dizz

I actually like my PT 1665 bracelet. But then again, all of my gen Rolex bracelets are 25-30 years old and in varying degrees of stretched out. The PT is correct w/ the 93150 markings and the 580 ends are ok, but really correct ends would be 585's. To get 585's, you'd have to pay $200+ if you can find them. And the springbars are 2mm which is nice. I did buy an MBW 93150 from Chris at ETZ before he went kaput, but I never put it on a watch- it had an unusual taper towards the clasp- but someday I'll use it- maybe on my cartel 5513.

Gotta agree with Alligoat on this one!

My PT1665 bracelet - 93150 with 580 end links with 2mm bars - is the best of 3 different 93150's that I have picked up over the years.

With some oiling, ageing and softening its proven to be an excellent bracelet. The clasp is not as good as say a 93250, I have made a hybrid with the best of a few. It should have a plain flip lock, small thumb recess and 93150 markings.

I admire the research you have done on this model - thread, after thread these past weeks - time to BUY!! Good luck and enjoy.

the problem with the pt bracelet is the end link engraving and the clasp stamp, automatically identifying it as a non genuine clasp. thats where the mbk is better. not sure about the divers extension on the PT but the MBK is also pretty decent.

These are all things I'm not going to worry about. I like my PT 1665 because it's a great watch. I made some mods and I have $400 in it. I'm not trying to pass it off as a gen, heck it's a great beater and it's WR to boot. I could buy a $10K gen, but then I wouldn't be swimming and fishing with it.

The funny thing is, no one has ever asked me if my watch was a fake (except my daughter, who knows I collect and mod and build watches) and I'm happy to show it to my watch buddies- we're having fun doing it! A few little engravings, who give a hoot?

The coronet on the PT Clasp is too large.

That to me is the biggest issue, but honestly, it is plenty good. Heck, given the going rates of old, worn out gen Rolex bracelets, I would consider it acceptable to use on a Gen head as a replacement.

These are all things I'm not going to worry about. I like my PT 1665 because it's a great watch. I made some mods and I have $400 in it. I'm not trying to pass it off as a gen, heck it's a great beater and it's WR to boot. I could buy a $10K gen, but then I wouldn't be swimming and fishing with it.

The funny thing is, no one has ever asked me if my watch was a fake (except my daughter, who knows I collect and mod and build watches) and I'm happy to show it to my watch buddies- we're having fun doing it! A few little engravings, who give a hoot?

different things to different people. when i see a clasp i know looks bad it ruins the illusion if you will, then you naturally start wondering about the legitimacy of the rest of the watch. collecting reps to me is about having fun, but its also about painstaking accuracy within somewhat reason, completely irrational and compulsive i know. personally i would hate to hinder the potential of a $400 rep due to a bad looking coronet on a $40 clasp. but kudos to those who dont let little things like that get to them, i truly am envious, i would save a fortune.

This is why I've been buying used gen bracelets and parts and building bracelets. I built a couple 9315 hybrids from gen parts, bought a gen rivet bracelet for my 6265 and Im parting together a 93150 for another watch. I like the loose puretime links, and my 1680 came with 280 ends and not 580 like i was expecting, but the clasp was very poor though and went into the parts bin. The cornet was horrible and the fliplock didnt even fit right. Seemed like it was off a different clasp and was about 1mm too short. I think my next watch will be a mashup of an MBW1665 with PT1665 movement and datewheel. Then I'll sell off the 2nd watch built from parts to recoup some costs.

dizz

This is why I've been buying used gen bracelets and parts and building bracelets. I built a couple 9315 hybrids from gen parts, bought a gen rivet bracelet for my 6265 and Im parting together a 93150 for another watch. I like the loose puretime links, and my 1680 came with 280 ends and not 580 like i was expecting, but the clasp was very poor though and went into the parts bin. The cornet was horrible and the fliplock didnt even fit right. Seemed like it was off a different clasp and was about 1mm too short. I think my next watch will be a mashup of an MBW1665 with PT1665 movement and datewheel. Then I'll sell off the 2nd watch built from parts to recoup some costs.

dizz

Dizz, what do you do, buy individual links from the bay to build a bracelet?

for my last 9315, I got a bracelet from a watchsmith with a badly broken clasp, then bought a fairly good shape clasp on ebay. it would still cost you about $400 min to part one together using all gen parts but it makes a HUGE difference to the feel of the watch on the wrist. I would only suggest doing this on a pretty hardcore franken. You know with gen dials or movements etc. no point putting a $500+ bracelet on a $200 watch. That would be silly.

For a watch like the Puretime vintages, I would take their bracelet and put on a clasp from a Noobmariner. Makes a nice combination with a little vintagizing work added.

dizz