When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have yet to get my 1665 GW but am starting to plan out the mods....

Prsist

I plan on wearing the watch for a spell to find out how I like her and to see what I want done. The first batch of mods I am going to do are:

1. Confirm the movt is a slow beat ETA

- what are the tells the movt is a swiss eta-2846?

2. Medium domed 25-39 crystal

- find one from Clark on the bay

- Is that the correct crystal id?

3. Gen. 703 crown

4. Tube

- this one I'm not sure about as I haven't found a place who sells them, any advice?

- I remember reading that PT's tube will work with a gen crown, correct?

5. Research the lug holes. I picked up some 2mm spring bars from my watch maker and will see if they fit.

6. Have the movt serviced.

7. I'll need to find someone to perform the mods. Can someone point me in the right direction?

So that is the plan, just double checking to see if I have things right. Thanks again guys.

I plan on wearing the watch for a spell to find out how I like her and to see what I want done. The first batch of mods I am going to do are:

1. Confirm the movt is a slow beat ETA

- what are the tells the movt is a swiss eta-2846?

It will be stamped 2846 on the movement. No fakes of these movements that i know of

2. Medium domed 25-39 crystal

- find one from Clark on the bay

- Is that the correct crystal id?

You need the superdome t-39 or flattop 39, its up to you.

3. Gen. 703 crown

4. Tube

- this one I'm not sure about as I haven't found a place who sells them, any advice?

- I remember reading that PT's tube will work with a gen crown, correct?

Yes gen crown fits on PT tube

5. Research the lug holes. I picked up some 2mm spring bars from my watch maker and will see if they fit.

Comes with 2mm springbars, lug holes in the case need to be opened up slightly.

6. Have the movt serviced.

I wouldnt bother servicing it unless it doesnt keep time. Cheaper to replace it than service it.

7. I'll need to find someone to perform the mods. Can someone point me in the right direction?

So that is the plan, just double checking to see if I have things right. Thanks again guys.

I agree with Freddy. If you plan to send the watch off to someone for the mods, I would invest in a service. Sure replacing the movement is probably cheaper, but that's only if you can do it yourself. Why not spring for a clean lubricate and regulate while the watch is apart, then you will have a dependable accurate timepiece for a long time.I would be really surprised if the 2846's that are used in the PT watches are serviced at all. they probably wind them and if they work, they are used, no matter how dirty or dry the movement is.Even the new movements that are in unopened packages have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years. the grease and oils have undergone changes and more than likely won't offer the same level of lubrication as they did when new.

Another thing you will need to do is shave the crown guards to the correct shape and thickness.

As far as who can do the work, there are several very competent watchmakers on the forum, you just need to contact them and get and idea of what the costs are as well as their turnaround time.

I agree with Freddy. If you plan to send the watch off to someone for the mods, I would invest in a service. Sure replacing the movement is probably cheaper, but that's only if you can do it yourself. Why not spring for a clean lubricate and regulate while the watch is apart, then you will have a dependable accurate timepiece for a long time.I would be really surprised if the 2846's that are used in the PT watches are serviced at all. they probably wind them and if they work, they are used, no matter how dirty or dry the movement is.Even the new movements that are in unopened packages have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years. the grease and oils have undergone changes and more than likely won't offer the same level of lubrication as they did when new.

Another thing you will need to do is shave the crown guards to the correct shape and thickness.

As far as who can do the work, there are several very competent watchmakers on the forum, you just need to contact them and get and idea of what the costs are as well as their turnaround time.

Agree, a serviced older movement is better than a new one that has sat on a shelf for 10 years and allthough cousins have them the cheepest is