When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oh Nooooo

swdivad

SMP Pro Chrono. Listed it for 2 months on RWG, no one wanted it until krustybrand scooped it up. I can easily get one with full box and papers now for $1300 or so, like new. A Ti Chrono one now goes on TZ about $1300 average.

I honestly don't remember that Admin, wish I saw that now having a little more dispoasable income... Guess it's over to Timezone :whistling:

what is the size of this beauty?

translate from honpo

"Omega seaming machine star professional clo no 2599-80 The "Omega seaming machine star" is known as the chronograph which the James bond wears in the movie 007 series. Seaming machine star 300M of fixed turn is the tough model of the professional Divers business which prevents the damage of wind prevention at the time of helium saturation diving with the structure which loads the helium escape valve. * High beat 28800 vibration calendar attaching inexpensive edition loading & opposite rotary prevention ベゼル & the sapphire crystal & one-touch release breath installing & HeGAS escape valve installing (the dummy) * there is a case back serial, * diameter: Approximately 42mm * thickness: 17mm & weight: Approximately 205 grams * clo no complete work 12 o'clock position 30 minute mileage recorder 6 o'clock position 12 hour mileage recorder 9 o'clock position second hand * as for waterproofing guarantee life waterproofing"

Edited by szumi

This has one major flaw. The bracelet uses screws instead of pins like the genuine. (According to Watchhonpo's site, the rep has screws)

Yep you can see the screws here on Rivers pictures:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=12389

I would not call it a major flaw. A major flaw for me would be something incorrect on the dial or watch case etc...

I can live with it having screws instead of pins, after all its $239 delivered ;):)

Guest chronomat123

Rehaut looks shitty. My Seamaster dial seems set more deeply in the case than this.

And it's true-- you can get these watches dirt cheap. I paid $950 for one a few months ago, only 2 years old, but the serial number had been etched off (grey market.) I'm not about to pay $300 extra for a few engraved digits on the caseback.

I dion't see the need to spend close to $700 on this watch--my local smith does a service and lume for $130 plus, what, $40 bucks tops for the pearl? IMO, a serviced new 7750 eliminates the need for swiss 7750.

This'll come down to $208 in a month or two..so that's $380 for the whole shooting match. If the bracelet bothers you, throw it on a strap for another 80 and you're right at 40% of the cost of a used gray market gen. Yeah, yeah, a rep will always be a rep...but a used 7750 powered omega @ $1000 is an overpriced watch--and an overpriced watch will always be an overpriced watch.

Second hand Omega's are not overpriced for what they are.... They're very well built, there's still the quality and craftsmanship in there. Just because the 7750 ebauche is cheap, doesn't mean Omega doesn't elaborate (decoration, etc.) on the movement, etc. A rep always has this quality control problem, and you still have the "scare" of being called out by people.

A watch that truly isn't worth the money is the FM King Conquistador Chrono- $25,000 for a SS watch with a 7750 movement. That's ridiculous. $1000-$2000 for a Omega that's well built and will last a lifetime is NOT overpriced.

This was my breakdown:

$100- Relume (The Zigmeister)

$150- Service (The Zigmeister)

$100- Bezel insert (Genuine Omega bezel inserts are expensive from what I hear)

New 7750- $250

Watch base- $250

Already at $850, and this doesn't include AR coating..................

a used 7750 powered omega @ $1000 is an overpriced watch--and an overpriced watch will always be an overpriced watch.

Yes, although some people call it "retaining value," which is considered a good thing.

If you only like reps this is certainly the right forum for it, but it seems to me that a clean, used Omega for less than half the MSRP is about as fair a deal as gens get. And considering replicas using Swiss 7750's of uncertain provenance (King was selling watches with 1980's vintage 17-jewel 7750's earlier this year as I recall -- NOS? refurbished? who knows?) can go for up to $900, an extra $100 for a gen hardly seems hideously overpriced IMO.

A watch that truly isn't worth the money is the FM King Conquistador Chrono- $25,000 for a SS watch with a 7750 movement.

You got that right, pardner.

I don't mind gens at all, but I do have a little system when I decide whether I'm going to buy a gen or a rep:

Out of those mods, I'd be perfectly confident I'd never get called out outside of an AD with only the lume, a pearl, and an A/R (less than $200 locally). Anyone who has to have swiss and an OEM insert, though, definitely should buy the gen.

I'm not anti-gen at all, but I'd never buy a gen version of a watch as well repped as the SMP chrono.

IMO, at 1000 bucks, a 7750 powered omega may not be egregiously overpriced, especially compared to Mullers, but seeing as I can buy at least 2 "99%" "$8000" PAMS (or 3 99% "$11000" mullers for that matter) for the same dough the Omega is comparatively a poor value.

On the other hand even if a watch is decently repped, some gens are fantastic values. If I could afford it, I'd have a whole collection of JLC's and still have a big ol' grin on my cheapskate face--You won't find a better value on earth--at least as far as luxury watches go--than the JLC master hometime. Manufacture movement, interesting complications, almost entirely handcrafted, fit and finish on a par with any watch I've ever handled save Lange and Patek. 24 interest free $196 payments from Tourneau.

Sorry to ramble, but there are many gens even a guy as tight as me would be happy to buy. I just don't believe a used SMP chrono is one of them.

Considering a FM solid gold Casablanca rep goes for more than the used Omega SMP Chrono (SS or titanium), then it is not too bad in value ? The titanium version is unlikely to be made as a rep :( and if it was, I don't think rep titanium is as good as the titanium in a genuine watch such as Omega. :g:

Don't forget you also get something that is more likely to go down to the rated 300m (especially once tested), and should be fine for swimming.

Either way, this is a nice looking rep. :thumbsupsmileyanim: