When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modification Advice For "perfect" Sub From Josh Please

rocky1552

Ok, so now that the honeymoon is over and I took off my happy eyes I have noticed a couple things that I would like to get some advice on please.

I recently purchased a “perfect” sub from Josh and wrote a review which I posted on the other RWG site. I STILL like the watch very much but want to change a couple things.

There were some modifications made before it was shipped which makes it the “perfect” version including:

Modifications : Watch Case, Crown Guards is modded to correct shape as genuine. Bracelet edges is modded smooth and whole bracelet is repolished to hariline low sheen finish.

Waterproofing : Additional seals are add on and watch is pressure tested to 5 bars... 50m waterproofing..

Movement is completely overhauled and re-assembled, serviced and re-lub with 5 different types of Swiss imported movement lubricant, Calibration to +5 secs per day.

The issues I am having are with the date mag being too far over to the right and the pearl but I’m not sure if the date window and mag are too far right or just the mag. I have not contacted Josh about this because I wanted to get some advice and see if it would be worth the shipping, money, and possibly having the watch come back worse than when it left.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

124810-20733.jpg

124810-20734.jpg

124810-20735.jpg

Edited by rocky1552

The date window is definitely too far right. The second picture shows that very clearly. You need to move it 1+mm to the left. I have a very similar dial and movement (position wise) on my rep. Even your mag and font look correct, I don't think you can keep the crystal and the date wheel (just like mine). I'm looking to replace the date wheel, dial, and crystal to fix this problem besides bezel, crown guard, .... I love my movement though (its a ETA) 'cause it's very consistent. BTW, I got my rep in ShenZhen, China for US$100. If you bargain, you can get one for $85. It looks very much like yours except the CGs are longer. The dealers on the Internet charge too much.

Ok, so now that the honeymoon is over and I took off my happy eyes I have noticed a couple things that I would like to get some advice on please.

I recently purchased a “perfect” sub from Josh and wrote a review which I posted on the other RWG site. I STILL like the watch very much but want to change a couple things.

There were some modifications made before it was shipped which makes it the “perfect” version including:

Modifications : Watch Case, Crown Guards is modded to correct shape as genuine. Bracelet edges is modded smooth and whole bracelet is repolished to hariline low sheen finish.

Waterproofing : Additional seals are add on and watch is pressure tested to 5 bars... 50m waterproofing..

Movement is completely overhauled and re-assembled, serviced and re-lub with 5 different types of Swiss imported movement lubricant, Calibration to +5 secs per day.

The issues I am having are with the date mag being too far over to the right and the pearl but I’m not sure if the date window and mag are too far right or just the mag. I have not contacted Josh about this because I wanted to get some advice and see if it would be worth the shipping, money, and possibly having the watch come back worse than when it left.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

124892-20708.jpg

124892-20709.jpg

124892-20710.jpg

I am sorry, it must be my mood for the evening, but I had a good laugh over this. Yes, your date window is 1mm too far to the right, but you would actually consider sending all the way back to Josh--risking customs and the expense of shipping-- for issues that are common in reps? No rep is perfect. Why don't you send it to The Zigmeister or RBJ for some mods?

Indeed- The cyclops is just a tad too far to the right. You should be able to see the minute chapter between the cyclops and the edge:

124915-20705.jpg

In addition, you may also want to consider a genuine crown/tube and insert. I've done these to mine, and the changes make for a huge difference; the crown and tube especially as it's a nice functional improvement...

124915-20706.jpg

Enjoy your Sub!

R

Yes, I think you're expecting perfection at rep prices.

Buy a genuine insert, file it down on the back and install it, then you'll have a good pearl.

Remove the sapphire crystal from the watch (easy), heat it up to melt the uv glue, remove and clean up the cyclops, and reglue it with uv glue where you want it. No big deal.

While you're at it, why don't you read Eddie Lee's post today. Do you see yourself in it?

Too many people expect too much and they forget Rule No. 1, "A rep is only a rep.

Yes, I think you're expecting perfection at rep prices.

Buy a genuine insert, file it down on the back and install it, then you'll have a good pearl.

Remove the sapphire crystal from the watch (easy), heat it up to melt the uv glue, remove and clean up the cyclops, and reglue it with uv glue where you want it. No big deal.

While you're at it, why don't you read Eddie Lee's post today. Do you see yourself in it?

Too many people expect too much and they forget Rule No. 1, "A rep is only a rep.

Thanks for the replies and no I was not expecting perfection. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

I think I will replace the insert with a genuine (if I can find one) or a very good generic insert. As for the laser crown, if I can find a genuine Rolex crystal like on Ofrei will it have the crown etched in it? Also, does anyone know a good place to source the inserts?