When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Having reps shipped to Switzerland?

thomasng

I recently moved to Switzerland, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the standard protocol for shipping reps here is? I made sure to get rid of every rep watch I had before I moved here. Is it still risky to buy reps even if they're shipped in from other countries in the EU (I know Switzerland is part of Schengen, but Swiss customs is still independent).

Or should I just kiss rep watches goodbye? :black_eye:

I recently moved to Switzerland, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the standard protocol for shipping reps here is? I made sure to get rid of every rep watch I had before I moved here. Is it still risky to buy reps even if they're shipped in from other countries in the EU (I know Switzerland is part of Schengen, but Swiss customs is still independent).

Or should I just kiss rep watches goodbye? :black_eye:

There is no protocol. You don't have reps shipped to Switzerland. Schengen's got nothing to do with it.

Kind regards

Valerian

by all means. WEAR your rep to work (as long as you don't work in an authorized dealer).. but shipping to switzerland is usually a problem from what i hear. Get the watch shipped to a friend in france, germany or Austria.

If the people who interviewed me are any indication, I'll probably be working around a sea of Pateks, APs and WISes in general. One of the VPs was wearing a watch twice my projected annual salary. :shock:

I have friends in Austria and might go there quite often for skiing, so I'll send it to them. I'll be sure to order from EU dealers though.

by all means. WEAR your rep to work (as long as you don't work in an authorized dealer).. but shipping to switzerland is usually a problem from what i hear. Get the watch shipped to a friend in france, germany or Austria.

Shipping to Germany is more a problem then shipping to switzerland^^

Welcome aboard on EU Thomas ;) although Switzerland was and is

something "special"... identifying "too much" with EU

seems to be a feeling like loosing your identity to them.

Really do hope, you and your wife enjoy the new residence -

do love Switzerland for its nature(and watches of course).

+1 @others - shipping from Canada to Germany, then to CH

doesnt seem to be a good idea to me too - i would consider

France-CH first before other options.

I guess the natives hanging around here will point you

into the right direction.

And knowing you as a gen & rep collector in the past -

why bothering sporting a good fabricated rep at work

if it does not fall apart at a glance?

Cheers

George

If the people who interviewed me are any indication, I'll probably be working around a sea of Pateks, APs and WISes in general. One of the VPs was wearing a watch twice my projected annual salary. :shock:

I have friends in Austria and might go there quite often for skiing, so I'll send it to them. I'll be sure to order from EU dealers though.

So then, just make sure to not wear any AP's, Hublots, Brequets or A'lange & Sohne reps and you should be golden :) (as a general rule :) )

And knowing you as a gen & rep collector in the past -

why bothering sporting a good fabricated rep at work

if it does not fall apart at a glance?

Well, I always followed the philosophy that buying gens were the better deal- I could score a great deal, wear it for a while and resell it for no loss.

But I think I ignored the fact that the watch could either be damaged or stolen,- some scumbag on the Boston Metro basically ripped my watch off my wrist right when the doors were closing. Now, I know Switzerland is safer but that's put me off gen watches for the time being. :wounded1:

Sorry to hear that!!

Well, robbed GEN = Bigger financial loss than robbed REP.

But dont forget, that this couldve also happened to you wearing a rep ;)

When everything else "fits" the image - appearance, job, clothing, behaviour etc.

the rep gets almost indistinguishable to the average mortal-non-WIS.

(thats no calling to wear some bad reps on your new workplace though)

Cheers!

George