When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seeking Info on 16610 Inserts

d-rock

Hey guys. I've recently been in the process of obtaining gen parts for a BK WM9 Sub project.

Along the way I've acquired 6 gen inserts and I'm noticing differences in them.

Some have 4's with the inside comming to a point at the top and some have 4's with the inside being flat at the top.

Does anyone know what year Rolex changed the inside of the "4" on the 40 mark??

Also,it's pretty easy to spot the differences in a rep pearl and a gen pearl with a 20x loupe, but I have another question.

Does anyone know the lifespan of the luminova in a gen pearl??

Because I have what very much looks to be a gen pearl though it's not active..it doesn't glow.

And I've since noted that the jeweler I acquired these from has his listed for sale stating whether they do or do NOT glow.

Did Rolex even ever make a non-luminescent pearl for the Submariner bezel insert and if so, does anyone know what years??

Thanks in advance for the replies and info from the "pros".

Edited by d-rock

If a pearl doesn't glow, it's probably tritium which was used from '79 to around 2000. These would have the boxy '4' most likely. After 2000, Rolex used luminova for one year and superluminova after that. The triangular '4' came around 2004-5.

As is the case, these aren't hard and fast rules, just something to go by. Bezel insert is the same for 16610 and 16800, and I think I've seen triangular '4's' on 16800 inserts w/ brown tritium pearls.

I really don't know why we worry about accuracy to gen sometimes - it's things like this that seem to paint Rolex as any typical manufacturer - use what's available till it runs out, even if it overlaps onto a revised model, then repeat the next time round with the next lot of components!

In the end, it seems that pretty much any component could be argued as being factory fitted, simply due to the fact that the factory was so inconsistent over the years!

If a pearl doesn't glow, it's probably tritium which was used from '79 to around 2000. These would have the boxy '4' most likely. After 2000, Rolex used luminova for one year and superluminova after that. The triangular '4' came around 2004-5.

As is the case, these aren't hard and fast rules, just something to go by. Bezel insert is the same for 16610 and 16800, and I think I've seen triangular '4's' on 16800 inserts w/ brown tritium pearls.

I just noticed something. One of the gen inserts that came brand new sealed in the Rolex pack had on it, along with the part number, Cal 3035.

Yet this insert has the pointed 4.

Didn't the 3035 mvt come before the 3135??

I'm really confused now, too.

Or perhaps the Cal 3035 on the package has no bearing as to what mvt the Sub that it's designed to fit has in it (age-wise, anyway.

I really don't know why we worry about accuracy to gen sometimes - it's things like this that seem to paint Rolex as any typical manufacturer - use what's available till it runs out, even if it overlaps onto a revised model, then repeat the next time round with the next lot of components!

In the end, it seems that pretty much any component could be argued as being factory fitted, simply due to the fact that the factory was so inconsistent over the years!

Amen to that, my friend. But DAM ain't it fun "tryin'" to figure it all out. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just noticed something. One of the gen inserts that came brand new sealed in the Rolex pack had on it, along with the part number, Cal 3035.

Yet this insert has the pointed 4.

Didn't the 3035 mvt come before the 3135??

I'm really confused now, too.

Or perhaps the Cal 3035 on the package has no bearing as to what mvt the Sub that it's designed to fit has in it (age-wise, anyway.

The 3035 was used in the 16800 and 168000, 1979-1987/8. PN for the insert is 315-16800-xx. The same insert is used on the 16610. Why your package was additionally marked 3035, I can't say. Was it factory printed or hand written? Is it even the original packaging! The biggest tell on the sub insert is the factory pearl, no one has managed to copy it 100%. Watchmaterial.com comes the closest and there are some other decent copies out there (Raymond Lee, Helfands,...)but the gen is hard to beat. It really comes down to developing a 'good eye' for what's correct.

I wouldn't obscess too much about the inserts. If your making a later model 16610, You need a Luminova or superluminova pearl. And early model would take a tritium pearl. Every time a Rolex Sub went in for service, you can bet the RSC changed the insert. Most of them, if the wearer was using the watch much at all, tended to get beat up. The metal scratches, and they get paint dings and chips out just like a car. Maybe a "safe queen" that was never worn would have the original insert, but all the others are wearing a later model.What it looks like would depend on when it was changed and what the RSC had on hand.

That's true. I have a few of the gen inserts and I'm going with the correct pointed 4.

I also lucked out and purchased Gen 25-295-C2 Crystals from the same dealer that sent me the inserts.

Looking at the etched crown with a 20x loupe it's perfect and doesn't have the replacement "S" etched on the crown for "service".

And because the bezel on the 2nd v2 was "shot" I've just located and purchased a gen bezel and retaining ring.

Gen clip ring and click spring should be on the way too.