When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An albino 6542?

Nanuq

I read the thread on the VRF. I believe that some of the folks there are really experts when it comes to Rolex vintage models, but there are a few posters there, who for all practical purposes don't know their A..s from first base. unfortunately, it doesn't keep them from posting. Sort of like the few on the Rolex forum "watch out!!" that must be either independently wealthy, on welfare, or invalids who don't have anything better to do that cruise EBay looking for fakes. Which in itself is a noble cause, except that they often can't tell a genuine from a fake and thus screw up some poor guys listing out of either ignorance, arrogance or a combination of both.

Going back to the 6542, is it not well documented that Pan Am bought a fair number of the white dial versions for Pan AM executives, or was I dreaming that information? I will certanly stand corrected if I'm wrong about the PAn Am White dial 6542.

Going back to the 6542, is it not well documented that Pan Am bought a fair number of the white dial versions for Pan AM executives, or was I dreaming that information?

The only reliable source supporting the argument for the watch's existence is Stefano Mazzariol (1 of the co-authors of the Daytona bible), who produced an exhaustively detailed scientific examination of the albino 6542. There are dribs & drabs of info spread across a number of websites, but these contain more speculation (often copied/pasted from the next website) than authenticated facts. As usual with vintage Rolex oddities, until/unless Rolex makes an official statement (unlikely) I think you have to investigate the information available, keep an open mind & judge for yourself.

The 1 thing I know with absolute certainty is that Rolex definitely missed the boat by NOT making a white dialed Perspex-bezeled 6542 broadly available to the general public. To my eye, it is 1 of the most beautiful watches they ever produced & probably would have sold like hot cakes.