When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Oyster Prince Date Day question

mastergod

JMB would know for sure.. If its the same dial diameter then it would work. You would need to get the Rolex replica day and date wheels. The gen dial windows wont line up with these ETA wheels. You would just need to find a rep day-date and pull the overlays off it.

Rolex style date wheel overlays are pretty common but don't know that I've seen any "day wheel" overlays - but, I've not looked... Plus, the cyclops will be in a different position for the Rollie model. I would leave this one be and build up one from scratch. You can get a "movement donor" watch off flea-bay for $50 - $60 shipped then start hunting your overlays. I'll check with my parts guy to see if he might have them. I think Kurt just built one and the day wheel "almost" lines up without overlay... Anybody chime in with Rolex Day-Date case size?

Oh yeah you are right, I forgot about the 'jumbo' Tudor sizes. You could just get a day wheel of a rolex day date rep. I might have a day wheel laying around, i will have a look. I have one you can have it.

Wanna thank you guys for the replies - having read them I guess I won't attempt doing it.

Been on the bay a lot recently, trying to find a gen RLX case/movt set in order to build something, initially either a (gen) AirKing or a (franken) Space-Dweller. But to be honest most of the vintage Rolex cases look the same to me, however there are a LOT of different case classifications (5500, 1500, 15000 etc) and it doesn't mean don't anything to me - I'd be bound to miss crucial details regarding compatability of parts or price of key parts. Panerai is so much easier!

Trying to create wiggle-room I thought a Tudor case would be easier...ETA movt, availability of hands, "gen rolex parts" outta box, waterproof, already "vintageized"... just swap dials and maybe caseback...

I know there's never a really easy way to this and that we RWG members should largely do our own research, which I try to do, however: Tips for an easy-fix Tudor-based Airking, Spacedweller or other 34mm+ "boyscout Rolex" would be greatly appreciated :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks

mg

Edited by mastergod

MG - I've recently made a Rolex Date franken from a 1500 (34mm) case...it is actually a gold filled case. I used the gen dial and case. Found an ETA 1570 adapter for the case (stilty or Yuki sells those), had a gold date wheel overlay left over from another project. I had orginally broached out the gen handsto fit the ETA, but found that the post holes were too weak, so I went with gold ETA hands.

Here is the link discussing a little bit about my build:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/123329-fyi-on-height-of-date-wheel-overlays/page__p__891813#entry891813

The simpliest build, IMO, would be the AK or a vintage SpaceDweller...I would find a movement 24XX (proper to 1570 beat), there are tons of gen AK cases out there, once again get an ETA 1570 adapter. Get ETA hands, no date alignment to worry about and your done!

Plus...I love the blue dialed AK's!!!!

I hope that helps!

MG - I've recently made a Rolex Date franken from a 1500 (34mm) case...it is actually a gold filled case. I used the gen dial and case. Found an ETA 1570 adapter for the case (stilty or Yuki sells those), had a gold date wheel overlay left over from another project. I had orginally broached out the gen handsto fit the ETA, but found that the post holes were too weak, so I went with gold ETA hands.

Here is the link discussing a little bit about my build:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/123329-fyi-on-height-of-date-wheel-overlays/page__p__891813#entry891813

The simpliest build, IMO, would be the AK or a vintage SpaceDweller...I would find a movement 24XX (proper to 1570 beat), there are tons of gen AK cases out there, once again get an ETA 1570 adapter. Get ETA hands, no date alignment to worry about and your done!

Plus...I love the blue dialed AK's!!!!

I hope that helps!

Just a quick reply now, will add after digesting what you're saying - TOTALLY love the blue dialed AK as well!! It's like a pup dog: Friendly, non-threatening, simple, true :wub: