When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some advice please for a newbie. 1665 and 1675

char1ie

Hello all, I have been browsing the forum for a while, moving towards vintage Rolex building. I have been dabbling with vintage Pan mods but it's time for a change. Could I get some thoughts on the following please.

What is this 1665 double red:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolex-Sea-Dweller-1977-Double-Red-1665-/150525410833

I'm assuming it's not gen, but does anybody have any opinion about what it is? I'm thinking in may work as the basis of a 1665 project. Can anybody tell from the photos what this is likely to be?

I was looking at this case as a possible 1675 project. I am assuming that it is all gen. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270669482041

What sort of price will this case go for?

Thanks all,

Charlie

The 1665 looks aftermarket, but impossible to tell based on such (purposely) crummy pics. Ask seller for good, clear macros (without glare, shadows, blur) of the movement, dial & caseback. Post them here (if you get them) & we can provide more specific answers.

As for the 1675, I would not buy watch parts from a seller with less than 200 previous high-end watch-related auctions & at least a 99.5% rating.

Always, buy (investigate) the seller before you buy the.....

+1 for what Freddy says

The seller of the DRSD doesn't show any feedback, seems odd to me. Apparently he sells a lot of stones, certainly not watches. The dial looks pretty bad to me, as well as the picture!

The GMT case serial # is all wrong, I've never seen a Rolex SN that BIG!

The more time I spend on this forum the more I start to assume that Ebay is full of non-gen Rolex stuff. This case set has no sn. Should I believe the seller? It's been worn away by the bracelet? I don't think so. Your opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250731868473

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by char1ie

I am with Freddy. When it comes to ebay I try to stick to well established folks. I focus on bidding on safe items and hope to get better prices just by the luck of who else bids. You are never going to score a Double red for $5,000 but you weren't going to anyhow. :lol:

The other smart thing you are already doing is check with folks around here when contemplating a large purchase. There are a number of folks with wonderful knowledge and they are usually happy to help.

I am with Freddy. When it comes to ebay I try to stick to well established folks. I focus on bidding on safe items and hope to get better prices just by the luck of who else bids. You are never going to score a Double red for $5,000 but you weren't going to anyhow. :lol:

The other smart thing you are already doing is check with folks around here when contemplating a large purchase. There are a number of folks with wonderful knowledge and they are usually happy to help.

Thanks.

When I posted the link to the double red the price was $415.

Charlie

Thanks.

When I posted the link to the double red the price was $415.

Charlie

You cant even find a gen white sea-dweller for under $10k... double reds are 3 times that price. Bidding got up to $900 on this one with 4 days remaining. He probably got a lot of emails questioning its authenticity.

the "Watch Out" crew over on TRF must have gotten to him. Probably why he pulled it. Or maybe he didn't realize it is a fake. i hope he didn't trade a big high quality diamond for that one!!

Charlie, if you see something on Ebay, it's fine to post a link, as long as you don't abuse it by posting links to 25 auctions every day and expect the guys here to vet every Rolex on Ebay for authenticity.

I agree with Freddy, I approach Ebay like it i'm in a minefield with no map! You can find a bargain on there every now and then, but you have to know what you're looking for and what the value of the object is. Outside of the out and out shysters on Ebay, are the folks who are selling beat up, worn out stuff and asking mint quality prices. Another thing, if you smell something fishy, run away. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Nobody in their right mind would ever start a genuine DRSD off at a 1.00 USD bid and no reserve. All of the guys selling good quality watches are smart enough to protect themselves. they would much rather have a listing run out and have to relist 10 times rather than have someone steal a genuine DRSD for 2-3 k. Hell, the dials are 3 times that.

Another thing, what are you looking for? Do you want to build something from scratch, or pick up a genuine Rolex at a bargain price? I'm not at all clear about what you're shooting for.

Another thing, what are you looking for? Do you want to build something from scratch, or pick up a genuine Rolex at a bargain price? I'm not at all clear about what you're shooting for.

Thanks, I've been around Ebay since 1998 so I understand it's a lawless place. I was thinking about assembling parts to make a 1675 or similar era Rolex. Having said that I am more leaning towards buying a project that is already done, and was just idly scanning Ebay thinking about prices and purchases.

A was toying with buying a really nice 1665 that was offered on the forum at around €2800 but I wasn't sure about taking the risk of buying from someone I didn't know.

Anyway, back to the research and the learning. Thanks all,

Charlie

Charlie-

I have no idea what project was for 2800 euros (and there are no guarantees) but bear in mind that anything being sold for $1500 or more on this forum requires vetting of the seller by the admin team. Unlike Ebay or any other forum we maintain an approved list. Also you can ask the seller for references around here. In any case best of luck with your search.

Charlie-

I have no idea what project was for 2800 euros (and there are no guarantees) but bear in mind that anything being sold for $1500 or more on this forum requires vetting of the seller by the admin team. Unlike Ebay or any other forum we maintain an approved list. Also you can ask the seller for references around here. In any case best of luck with your search.

It was a really nice mosty gen parts 1665 build. I loved it but there's a lot that can go wrong with a €2800 purchase from someone I don't know. I've had fingers burnt before and I'm wary about that level of value trades overseas. Even in the UK I'd travel to meet someone face to face for that amount.

Charlie

No customs risk as we're both in the EU. More the risk of things not arriving, not being insured properly, not being as described, etc etc.

Charlie

If youy like the watch, why not contact the seller if he is in the EU, get his phone number and have a chat with him. Then if he sounds OK and photos of the watch looks OK, set up a meeting with him and look at the watch. I'm sure if he is a member here, and he has been approved by the administrators to sell a high value watch, he is reliable and will give you some sort of money back return if the watch is not as described.I think this would be a whole lot better than buying one off of Ebay.If you aren't impressed with the watch after looking it over and talking to the seller, it's a whole lot easier to say thanks very much, here let me buy the drinks, but I think I will pass on the watch. All you're out is a tank of gas and a couple of drinks.

I'm assuming the watch you're talking about is a 1665. If you are looking to buy a 1680 or newer Rolex sub, you are getting right up there close to the price of a genuine. I have seen quite a few 16800's and early 16610's sell for around 3-3.5 thousand USD. The watch you are describing is 3668.00 USD with todays exchange rate. If you look hard, you could probably find a pretty nice genuine submariner for that price. Probably a good link to read would be here My 1665 Project . There are some very insightful posts about the price/value ratio of replicas. We are talking about watches similar to what you are talking about, "Super Frankens" with lots of genuine parts. How do you determine how much you should spend on a project. This will also give you some ideas, if perhaps paying 2800.00 Euros, is too much for a Replica, or is it a bargain based on the model it's repping.