When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Flooded Basement

krpster

Well today on my way home after a particularly horrendous day at work my wife calls me and tells me the basement carpet looks funny. I get her to go down and check it out and sure enough about 2 inches of water everywhere! !@#$%!!!!! Apparently the sump pump failed to come on and as result water is now everywhere.

I walk her through manually overriding the switch to get the pump going. Success! At least further damage is avoided. I am sure you can guess what I spent my night doing. I just finished moving everything out of the basement into various other parts of the house (7 hours later). Fortunately many items were out of harms way, but some are goners for sure. I now have to spend my day tomorrow sorting through boxes in storage to try and salvage what I can.

I called a cleanup company and they came over very quickly and started suctioning out as much water as they could. Now there are 7 blower units in my basement that force air under the carpet. Overall they did a great job so I am thankful for that.

This totally sucks! Of course it could have been far worse but still sucks.

Anyway, I feel better now having vented. Thanks for listening / reading.

At least you live in an area that requires a basement due to the frost line. People here in LA look at me weird when I mention how nice it is to have basements :D I guess they don't do well here in earthquake country :Jumpy:

Sorry about your day krpster. That really sucks. Dry yourself (and posessions) off and have a nice, stiff drink :drinks:

Sorry to hear about your flooded basement......I went thru that 2 years ago. One thing I could say or suggest, replace that carpet! Your insurance should cover it. I don't care how much the cleaning Co. blow dry it, it won't be the same! And you have to take out the padding anyway.....mold would be your enemy, if not soon.....later!

My basement have 1/8th carpetting and the rest Pergo Hard Wood and I had to replace the whole thing. Now it's all hard wood! Check with your insurance and if they cover it, replace them. You don't wanna be exposed to molds specially if you have kids and pets! Plus, if you sell your house in the future, it might come up during the inspection!

Goodluck and I hope you feel better now!:thumbsupsmileyanim: