When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 7032 dial

polexpete

Hiya all,

after seeing the new batch of 7032's coming through and Martin's informative posts on how too make them even more accurate i decided to give my

J&W 7032 a makeover. I brought a DW dial which is excellent but seems comes up a tad too large for the J&W case.

The top pic is my 7032 the one below a gen. You can see the gap between the numbers and the rehaut are different, too close on the rep. Do you think this can be fixed by maybe taking some of the rehaut off on a lathe or not worth the risk...

tudor-1.jpg

7.jpg

Cheers

P.

I also noticed the gap between the orange numerals, and tried to determine the dimensions by overlaying photos of the gen with a photo of my DW 7032 in Photoshop. The positioning of the plates, tracks, and numerals are a near-perfect match. (I wish I could figure out a way to show this easily, but I think I'd waste an entire evening trying to put together an animated GIF!) I'm almost certain that the problem is with DW's too-narrow rehaut, and that this might be responsible for the consequently narrow crystal and bezel.

DW's dial is really remarkable in its accuracy, and the only improvement would be the replication of the gen's dodecagonal depression* in each subdial.

(*There has to be a better way to describe those subdials!)

I'm almost certain that the problem is with DW's too-narrow rehaut, and that this might be responsible for the consequently narrow crystal and bezel.

True Martin but its strange the dial is too big for the J&W case too which Phong says is 1:1 (don't they all)

Cheers

P.

My theory is that the DW, NDT, and Phong cases are more alike dimensionally than we suspect. However, the only proof I can offer are the identically-sized bezels and crystals of DW and NDT. When I had Ubi's NDT 7031 crystal and bezel, they were interchangeable with the DW parts.

One other thing: I think the lugholes of the Phong and DW are in the same place i.e. noticeably lower than on the gen.

EDIT: Hang on, Pete... Have you got a genuine crystal on your 7032, and did you have to modify anything?

My theory is that the DW, NDT, and Phong cases are more alike dimensionally than we suspect. However, the only proof I can offer are the identically-sized bezels and crystals of DW and NDT. When I had Ubi's NDT 7031 crystal and bezel, they were interchangeable with the DW parts.

One other thing: I think the lugholes of the Phong and DW are in the same place i.e. noticeably lower than on the gen.

EDIT: Hang on, Pete... Have you got a genuine crystal on your 7032, and did you have to modify anything?

Here's my original Phong 7032. Yes gen crystal and quite accurate bezel and good rehaut it seems. I brought it like this which is how Phong sells them complete... so no mods needed. The original Phong dial is the correct size but has other issues and mine started shedding paint which is why i replaced it....

Yup the lughole placings are not accurate but i think this is because the endlinks are so rare and Phong never sold these with rep bracelets. If they drilled the holes as per gen you wouldn't find endlinks to fit, gen or rep...

tc-03.jpg

Cheers

P.