When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help local watchsmith stole my watches

acesup_11

In my search for a local watchsmith I found one that would work out of his house. He had a lot of watches there and seemed ok. Gave me a receipt for two watched with estimated value and insurance and we both signed. My question is do I actually have recourse or am I out of luck because they are reps and probably illegal to own. thanks.

A bit more details would be really helpful mate! Like the questions asked above, in what way has he stolen them, refusing to hand back, ignoring your comms?!

If you know where he lives, sometimes the only recourse is to go back to the house with a couple of large friends and politely ask for them back, while showing that things could get very unpolite very quickly if he keeps trying to rip you!

But I think you need to fill us in on more detail before we can get any real help for you man! But good luck either way!!

Sixx :bones:

I keep calling his work line and cell phone and he does not return my messages it has been weeks. I left him two polite messages a week asking for a status update or if he cannot do the work its ok just please give me the watches back and nothing not an email not a phone call nothing. Thats where I stand.

I would visit him in person &, if he is out, leave a stern, but polite, note in his mailbox with your telephone, cell & email contact info requesting that he contact you within 48 hours or you will need to seek assistance from law enforcement. (Make a copy of the note in case you need to take the additional steps below.) Yes, rep watches are technically contraband & frowned-upon legally, but I believe outright theft trumps contraband. Additionally, if you paid him any money (deposit, downpayment, etc) with a major credit card, contact your bank & ask them for assistance. If the guy is in business, he does not want to jeopardize/lose his vendor status with the credit card company.

If, after 72 hours (yes, give him 1 additional day to respond in case he is sick or out of town since it is that time of year), you do not receive a response, I would either send him a copy of the note you left previously in his mailbox via registered mail (so he has to sign for it, which will make it clear that you mean business) & wait an additional 24 hours for a response or take all the paperwork you received to your local police & let them do their thing.

I would visit him in person &, if he is out, leave a stern, but polite, note in his mailbox with your telephone, cell & email contact info requesting that he contact you within 48 hours or you will need to seek assistance from law enforcement. (Make a copy of the note in case you need to take the additional steps below.) Yes, rep watches are technically contraband & frowned-upon legally, but I believe outright theft trumps contraband. Additionally, if you paid him any money (deposit, downpayment, etc) with a major credit card, contact your bank & ask them for assistance. If the guy is in business, he does not want to jeopardize/lose his vendor status with the credit card company.

If, after 72 hours (yes, give him 1 additional day to respond in case he is sick or out of town since it is that time of year), you do not receive a response, I would either send him a copy of the note you left previously in his mailbox via registered mail (so he has to sign for it, which will make it clear that you mean business) & wait an additional 24 hours for a response or take all the paperwork you received to your local police & let them do their thing.

The only thing I am concerned about is I do not want any legal hassle. That is what I am afraid of the most.

Why would you have legal trouble? What did the reciept say? What country are you in?

I suggest in the first instance you go to the house and politely request the watches return.... You may find there are other reasons he hasnt returned your calls...

Try getting a friend to call asking to see him to take some watches to him... arrange a time and you will know when he will be there...

If he hasnt said rep on the receipt then you have him legally no matter where you are... If you tell the police they were gen as far as your concened the only why he can argue that they are not is if he produces the watches...remember you have the reciepts.....I think the police would be more interested in that (as I am sure they would take a strong interest in him after that) than you

Why would you have legal trouble? What did the reciept say? What country are you in?

I suggest in the first instance you go to the house and politely request the watches return.... You may find there are other reasons he hasnt returned your calls...

Try getting a friend to call asking to see him to take some watches to him... arrange a time and you will know when he will be there...

If he hasnt said rep on the receipt then you have him legally no matter where you are... If you tell the police they were gen as far as your concened the only why he can argue that they are not is if he produces the watches...remember you have the reciepts.....I think the police would be more interested in that (as I am sure they would take a strong interest in him after that) than you

I am in the USA. I live in Connecticut.

He wrote FAKE ROLEX on the rolex receipt. He didnt know the PAM was fake so just wrote Luminor on it.

The only thing I am concerned about is I do not want any legal hassle. That is what I am afraid of the most.

I cannot see how you would get into any legal hassles unless you decide to sue him to court to get your possessions back. Just go to his house & pick up your stuff. If he refuses to give it to you, then walk away & chalk it up to a learning experience. Not much else you can do without involving the law.

And for reference, my bank has (twice) acted on my behalf in getting my money back from rogue rep sellers. So, while reps are technically considered to be illegal contraband in most places, you are generally not stuck in no-man's land (without legal recourse) if you get ripped-off.

Last time I heard,owning reps in the US isn't illegal. Just manufacture and sale.

But, I think you're jumping to conclusions thinking he stole them. As mentioned, he may be out of town or in the hospital or who knows what else. Until you go to his house and ask him, the rest is just speculation. The last thing to worry about is the cops being interested in a couple of reps.

So I went to his house knocked on the door for 30 min til he came out. He was like I was just going to call you. I said just please give me the watches and I will be on my way (very nice). He looked scared as hell. He ran and got them and gave them to me and closed the door.... lol

Congrats mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But did he do the work !!! ;)