When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing new 42mm PO

woof*

Hi everyone,

Just received my 42mm PO from Josh and love it!

I have looked around and read several tutorials on waterproofing... and particularly waterproofing DSSD. I see they open that watch and seal the HE from inside with epoxy.. and then seal the case and crown with silicone.

Since I am new at this and have never opened a watch before, I wonder what's wrong with sealing the PO's HE from the outside with epoxy?

I was wondering your thoughts on this?

Also.... this is a wonderful place for learning this hobby and I'm glad I found you guys!

I have not sean one of these in the flesh yet but there is no reason that it may not be waterproof as long as all the seals are there, they are lubed and the crystal is pressed on propperly, I would advise that you find a local mall watch repairer (not and AD) and see if they can do a leak check for you, it will only cost a couple of $ and then you will know if it has any water resistance. I have a leack checker that i test all my watches on and i swim in the pool in mine and have not had a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Awesome vid you posted!

Thanks for the water test tip too, I guess what I am really asking is about the HE valve.... epoxy from the outside ...as opposed to taking the watch apart and sealing it from the inside?

as long as the seal is in place then it should not need any epoxy, i have never used any on any of my watches, best place to start is to get it checked, there is no need to fix something that does not need fixing

This the first time that someone posted something that makes sense, I keep hearing about epoxy sealing He valve; I have a 45 UPO and no epoxy there at all Guess what. I took the watch to 100 feet dive and good as new. if the watch is assembly correctly there should not be any problems. Also took the MBW 1665 and Steelfish and no leaking or fog in the crystal.

Thanks for the replies.

Being new here and reading about waterproofing, I assumed it was necasary with these reps.

It makes sense to have the watch tested..and go from there.

One thing I'm curious about..if you take your watch to a mall or somewhere and have it tested.....

and it leaks crazy... what next?

Maybe I'm missing something but if during the test it gets full of water...you need to have skills and tools ready?

• 3 weeks later...

If all is sealed fine I think there is no problem with the waterproofness.

But remember it's a Rep,so better check it for a small money.

You can do it by your self with the cold - hot water trick.

Put your watch under cold water in the bathroom after that, the same with a bit hot water.

When it's not fogging it's proof for shure ;)

This the first time that someone posted something that makes sense, I keep hearing about epoxy sealing He valve; I have a 45 UPO and no epoxy there at all Guess what. I took the watch to 100 feet dive and good as new. if the watch is assembly correctly there should not be any problems. Also took the MBW 1665 and Steelfish and no leaking or fog in the crystal.

Most people who advocate sealing the HeV with epoxy are talking about the false valve on older DSSD models, where the valve opens inward .. which is the completely incorrect direction of course.