When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cool Video on Rolex Product Photography

redwatch

Great link and interesting viewing. This guy really needs to learn about the aesthetics of picture taking. The final shot looks really really fake, appearing highly photoshopped. The biggest giveaway is the diffuse background of the computer tower panel which clashes with the intensity of light around the left and right sides of the band. It looks almost comically photoshopped.

Edited by subbiesrock

Looks great and very informative. I do agree with subbies though; its kinda fake looking and I've done my fair share of 'shopping my work. I think if we saw the final image first, the opinions would be different.

I gotta say, its prob the camera recording @ 24fps, but that chrono hand was choppy!

Yeah I have to agree with most here. The final result is pretty poor (especially after 10 hours!) However, the initial setup was interesting to watch. I quite enjoyed seeing how much of a difference a small shift in the lighting would make in the spectral highlights on the watch itself.

10 hours of work and the end result was that? Well... ok. :blink:

Daytona is a tough watch to shoot, but the guy clearly overcontrasted and overlit the watch from the beginning.

And besides, most of that preparation work was useless. If your box has good basic setup, you don't have to set up the paper angles for hours. Maybe it was just a way of charging more money for this medicore work.

Cool video, but why the cheap fake Daytona? :thumbdown:

Who would spend 10 hours trying to take ONE picture of a $40 watch? lol

You could give half the members here a cheap light box and an iPhone 4 and we'd see some much better results.

Ditto By-Tor.

Incredible how 10 hours spent by a supposed professional with alot of lighting experience/equipment could result in such a mediocre pic. This old pic was taken with my 10 year-old 4MP p&s under normal room lighting (no light box) & it took a total of about an hour to produce the final shot

marbles010clear21.jpg

@Freddy: Your picture is much nicer.

When you shoot a watch that has both polished and brushed surfaces, it requires special lighting to bring up the details. You have to do some Photoshopping to "finalize" the pic. But there's a fine line between "fake" and "adjusted", and that guy crossed the line. And he overlit the watch ridiculously. Where were all the details of the bracelet, dial and bezel? It was completely lifeless and fake photo. I don't like the idea of completely faking the background, either.

You can "smoothen" the brushed surfaces with lighting...

6.jpg

...or bring them up.

frames.jpg

2.jpg

All talk, no walk... if you ask me.

Most of all the fact how he's blowing it up like the 2011 super bowl and all

we get to see is an asian movement cheapie.

If he was really that good like he pretends to be, we should have at least seen

a genuine watch.

I'm a lot better at picking 'rep' PAMs and Breitlings, not yet familiar with the Rollies, are all of you quite sure this was a rep daytona? That would male all of this rather deliciously ironic :)

EDIT: I just carefully perused the video again and noticed something really weird. The Chrono hand is sweeping in all the photos, but have any of you noticed that the Seconds @ 6 hand never moves? It seems stuck at the '35' position in all three of the test shots before he begins to take pictures of the tile background. Weird...very weird.

I thought about the choppiness of the chrono hand, at 24fps in a 28,800bph movement the second hand moves 4 times per second, but the camera captures 24 frames per second, so there should be 6 frames per hand movement. As I understand it, that shouldn't give you a choppy hand, quite the contrary, it should smoothly show the movement sweep. I think it's the movement itself that appears choppy in parts. Just my 0.02 :)

Edited by subbiesrock