When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cyclops removal gone wrong

Cardshark00

After removing the crystal! :Jumpy:

removing the crystal? Awww thats for professionals like yourself! :p

I just heated it with a torch lighter for 1 second then knocked it off with a swiss army knife. I guess I could have easily melted the crystal gasket, the crown gaskets, the dial. Maybe you guys shouldn't listen to me on this one lol.

JMB is right. I actually did this on an old junker rep just to see how easy it was to do. I wasnt worried about the outcome. If it was a new rep, then i would for sure remove the crystal. Thats a LOT of heat. Also not sure if this works as well on mineral crystals or not. They will break pretty easy under most stressfull conditions. i can only imagine what heating it up that quickly and unevenly would do.

BOOM!! =@

:crazy:

I'm removed cyclops' in the past with the heating method, and it does work. If not removing the crystal from the case, I would suggest heating the cyclops gradually and trying to remove the cyclops after each application of heat, rather than simply holding the flame to the crystal for 10 seconds... I've done that before, and the expansion stress cracked the crystal :bangin: So either remove it and heat it, or leave it in place but heat for 4 second intervals followed by a removal attempt :good:

OMG!

...holding the flame to the crystal for 10 seconds... heat for 4 second intervals,,,

:blowup:

ha ha ha!

I would start at 2 seconds... let it sit for 3-5 seconds then pop the cyclops off with a flat head screwdriver and a LIGHT tap from a hammer. Case knife might work also.You just need to soften the glue. Doesnt need as much heat as you would think.

ha ha ha!

I would start at 2 seconds... let it sit for 3-5 seconds then pop the cyclops off with a flat head screwdriver and a LIGHT tap from a hammer. Case knife might work also.You just need to soften the glue. Doesnt need as much heat as you would think.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Thinking about it, you're probably right with the 2 seconds rather than 4 :lol: I've used a pocket knife with good effect, but of course, just a case of getting the glue to soften first :)

I had the mini torch on this thing for a good 30 seconds !!! After that long the cyclops should have just fallen off.

Your lucky that only the cyclops broke. After 30 seconds on direct flame, Im surprised the dial was melting...