When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps Of Vintage Subs W/28800 Movements

Senior Timekeeper

Why do I see so many reps of vintage Subs using high beat 28800 movements when 28800 movements were not used in gen Subs before 1989? The 1680s were 21600 and older Subs beat even slower. Are the DG 2813 and ETA 2846 movements that bad? It would seem that a sure way to spot a rep of a vintage Sub would be the presence of a high beat movement.

For ETA based reps that I've put together for others, I usually use the 2846 or the 2783. Both are slow beat and fit as a perfect replacement to the 2836 high beat calibers.

Perhaps I should clarify my question, "Why do many vintage Sub reps from online dealers use high beat movements?

And they are relatively cheap, which is the prime motivator for rep makers (profit margins).

Also, I think your comment that a 28.8kbps movement is 'a sure way to spot a rep of a vintage Sub' is just wrong. 1st, only a serious collector (& certainly not the average Rolex owner) would know the difference & only a serious collector who is able to view your watch up-close would be able to detect the difference. In my experience, the likelihood of having either happen, under normal circumstances, is close to nil (0). It is really mostly just to sate our own neurotic selves that we worry about these things. :unsure:

And they are relatively cheap, which is the prime motivator for rep makers (profit margins).

Also, I think your comment that a 28.8kbps movement is 'a sure way to spot a rep of a vintage Sub' is just wrong. 1st, only a serious collector (& certainly not the average Rolex owner) would know the difference & only a serious collector who is able to view your watch up-close would be able to detect the difference. In my experience, the likelihood of having either happen, under normal circumstances, is close to nil (0). It is really mostly just to sate our own neurotic selves that we worry about these things. :unsure:

My remark about the presence of a high beat movement in a vintage Sub was meant to be more of an answer to those who say a sure way to spot a Sub rep is the presence of a 21600 BPH sweep. I realize few people will view your watch close enough to judge the smoothness of its sweep. That said, I'd like to buy a reference 1680 rep with a 21600 movement simply because that's the way it's supposed to be (as long as the movement's reliable).

Probably 28.8kbps. However, under normal circumstances, I am not generally that close to a watch, so I would still not put any money on my best guess as to what that movement's beat rate is & it would not surprise me at all to find that its beat rate is lower. I guess others' perception of beat is more attuned than mine is.

I have changed all my vintage subs movements for slow beat i have fitted 2846 etas (my favorite)and my 5513 has an old 2784 for me if you age your vintage watch then the slow beat goes well my 5513 sweep doesnt look much different from my 6538 rolex (1030) sweep to me but then again a none aged vintage rep looks great too with the fast beat, there are very few vintage subs offered with these slow beat etas

availability. slow beat movements are pretty much obsolete in the swiss world. and everyone wants a swiss automatic. enter marketing. the average replica buyer knows that a rolex sweep is smooth and wants that look even if its incorrect for the vintage models (a fact theyre ignorant to)

this is my educated guess anyways

My remark about the presence of a high beat movement in a vintage Sub was meant to be more of an answer to those who say a sure way to spot a Sub rep is the presence of a 21600 BPH sweep.

In my experience, the average person is looking for a quartz movement, 1 beat per second tick on a replica, and have no knowledge about various beats in genuine Swiss movements. I do agree however that they expect any Rolex to have "smooth as glass sweeps".

Edited by Jkay