When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 1:1 Project; proper cotes de geneve, micro engraving and rhodium plating

kbiz

I'm looking to possibly do a run of correct 6497 movements for contemporary pams... first for the most current version and possibly later for the earlier. Problem is it has proven too difficult to find swiss 6497s in the high beat... So I'm looking at the Chinese Seagull ST36 like the kind from Getat... I have the ability to do the proper cotes de geneve and pearlage as well as the micro fine engraving and rhodium plating... what I'm trying to figure out is if I can actually source a movement that's close enough where I don't have to machine all the screws and re-blue them, etc. It's only worth the trouble if it's possible to be spot on!

So far I've looked at Getat and Jackson TSE and the Getat version pictured looks better than Jackson which seems strange because I'd think they came from the same place... Here's some pics:

Jackson:

mm119photo1.jpg

Getat:

b_1240797809359004294.jpg

b_1240797809390004296.jpg

b_1240797809375004295.jpg

Here's the Gen:

gens.jpg

The Getat description:

$35

Description : Asian Seagull 6497 hand-winding mechanical movement with H3 (tall) canon pinion. With Swan Neck.

Functions : 2 hands with small second at 9 o'clock.

Running time : 48 hours after full-winding

Beats per hour : 21,600

Jewels : 17

Size : 36.6mm x 4.5mm

Included : movement, stem, 2 small mounting plates & 2 small mounting screws.

So issues I've noticed so far:

-screws look a little shiny but at least they're not rounded like the Jackson ones...

-anti shock looks like it's probably fake and maybe rotates around

-anti shock has the wrong shape but that can be swapped out

-swan neck is a bit off as in not a 1:1 shape

-winding wheels have wrong bevel and decoration is bad

-winding wheels screws are way too rounded

Anyone see any other issues? Also if you know a better source of movement let me know...

Edited by kbiz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking left and right for a good upside down engraved one for my EL 217...A Francisco decal sticker may be my last resort on a nicely finished blank movement...

If I do this run I'll be able to do some destros as well... micro engraving via chemical mill using photo masks... just a matter of turning the photo mask upside down ;)