When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going to build a 5510 or 6538...

Dizzy

I want to build a 5510, but I think before I build a good franken, I am going to build a cheaper version to see if it "speaks" to me or not.

What are your opinions on this one from Perfect Clones?

Swap the dial, plexi and do a little polishing.. Anyone know if these take a gen size dial or plexi??

Can anyone recommend a more accurate starting watch? My next one will be a yuki case, dial, gen bracelet etc, but like i said, i want to build a lower price one first to see if I ever like these no crown guard subs or not.

Perfect Clones 5510

Dizz

Errrr... Buddy Ubi..

lol

I need to start a new project.. not sure If i want to get a EXP2 vintage and turn it into a GMT1675, buy the 6542 from Puretime and try to overlook that wokky rehaut, or build a 5510/6538

Movement will be a 2836 GMT or a 2846 sub :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This doesnt look too bad. I think i am going to build a big crown sub or tudor.

My link

Rehaut looks a little deep, And im sure the case alone will be $500. Maybe I will wait until next month and get a MBW 5510 type big crown case set and go from there. I looked at the PT GMT6542 again and there is no way I can live with that Rehaut. I was going to get the 5510 from Perfect clones but the bracelet is crap.

I wish angus had a 6538 with ETA2846 and that 7602 stretchy bracelet that comes on that new GMT.

Any suggestions for a good case to start with? Does any dealer have a 5510 with eta2846?

I bought Joshua's 6538 with the big crown. Then sent it off to Pbdad for a full mod job. Problem everyone has is noone has a correct rep 6538 case....they are all incorrect. BUT if you take that 188 buck watch...shave down the crystal since its too high, reage the dial because its too yellow, redrill the lug holes, install gen size springbars and finally install a correct 8 mm crown...the end result looks great. Oh yess I also bought the Corvus Bond nato to give it the look I wanted. The major tell for me is that the lugs are too curved and as such they look "short". The true 6538 has case lugs that are straigher and only curve at the very tip. This gives them a longer appearance while on the wrist.

Where can you get a better 8mm crown? Yuki has them but they are $250

I was also just looking at Joshs 6538 to start with but if I need to add a $250 crown, then I may as well buy a Yuki case set?

What do you think of Yuki's 6538 case? I assume its around $500 but I will have to email him. All i would have to buy would be a dial and i would be set.

I agree the Yuki case it nice.

He also has this complete Tudor which looks really nice. Its prob $900 though.

Yuki 7922 Big Crown

I really dont want to spend a ton of $ on this one. I would rather buy the PC case and mod it myself if I can.

@Perry, do you know if the Perfect Clones cases take gen crystals??

If a gen crystal and gen size dial will work in that one for $188 then I think I'll start with that

Just a though Dizzy...have you considered using the new 6541 for a base? The rehaut looks not too bad. The mid case is too thick for a 6541, but it could work for a 6538. 37mm, so the size is good. You'll need to bubble the case back...if that concerns you. Might be minimal work to convert it to a 6538. The only thing that might be a problem is the dial...might not be able to fit a gen-spec dial.

Just a though Dizzy...have you considered using the new 6541 for a base? The rehaut looks not too bad....

Funny that you should mention that, as I was looking at this one earlier today

Puretime 6541

It comes with the ETA2846 so thats a BIG bonus over the Cartel A2836 for the same price. Im going to email Angus and see if I can get one of these with the good rivet bracelet off the 6542 GMT.

I would have to get:

Aftermarket 6538 dial

8mm Crown. I hear DSN has these also but I couldnt find them. Does anyone know what he charges for one? Nightwatch has them also.

This is the dial I would get I think

Yuki 6538 dial

Im going to see what Angus has to say. Chinese new year right now, so this may take a while to get started.

dizz

Pbdad got me a 8 mm crown and tube I believe from yuki for 150. Its thicker than the one that watch comes with and well worth the price. If I remember correctly Pbdad also installed a Clarke crystal which he shaved down so it looked more gen like. If the Clarke crystal fit I assume the gen would also. Contact Pbdad and I am sure he will give you all the details.

• 11 months later...