When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR service in the UK/EU

Fireman_Fred

This is my 1000th post so I wanted to make it a good one - so here goes : :clapping:

Since the disappearance of (the infamous) K2222, there seems to be a lack of anyone offering an A/R service in the EU. I am investigating the possbility of offering this service to the members and I would like to get some feedback as to the interest this might generate. This service will be operated out of the UK using a UK based coating company.

This possible service is in the embryo stages at the moment and I am currently trying to negotiate with a supplier to get the cost to a reasonable level. The A/R coating service I am hoping to offer will be carried out in "batches" and initially I will only be able to accept crystals which have already been removed from the watch, (however, if all goes well, I hope to offer a crystal "remove and replace" service if the the movement has already been removed from the case).

At present, I am waiting for a couple of sample crystals to be returned so I can guage the quality and post some photos.

Please respond within this thread if you think you might be interested and I would be grateful if you could give me an idea of how many crystals you would like coated in one go and whether you would want single or double sided A/R.

Cheers, Prost, A la sante, Nastrovia, Sherefe ! :drinks:

double.. But I don't have the watch yet, It's on the way! I'd have to see results and pricing though :)

I will post some pics and confirm prices as soon as I get my crystals back. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I would be in for sure N!! I have approx 5 xtals I want done at the moment and more to come, all double sided!

There is a guy in Germany doing some good work, a guy called Uwe (FineDD on the boards I believe) he has done some work for Whatever123 and a couple of others and they have been really impressed.

Would be so good to have a UK outlet though!! Well for us in the UK it would be, also means that more of the EU crowd would have a choice of Uwe in Germany or you over here in the UK.

Or the old schoolers who have always used Chiefs excellent service, still have that option open to them!!

The more modders/services we can get in the EU the better for all of us I say! Means work would need to be at a constant high standard or you face losing custom to another modder, price doesn't go crazy having to ship to US/CAN or to Asia! Price point for mods would come down too as guys try to deal in the same market, thats how we got the reps we have today no? More dealers, means more choice and competative pricing!!

In short. YES!!! lol.

Oh and congrats on your ton up mate!! Welcome to the club!!

Sixx :bones:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your interest :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have now got a crystal back with double A/R and the results looks good !

I have negotiated a price and at the moment I can offer a double A/R service for a single crystal of £35 inc. shipping for a run of 20 crystals. As this will be my first run, I am only accepting crystals already removed. I am hoping the next phase will be to offer a crystal remove/replace service if the movement has alreay been removed (as required).

Please let me know if you are interested.

Here are a couple of pics of my sample crystal, "before" and "after" A/R coating:

BEFORE:

1002833ca.jpg

1002834z.jpg

AFTER:

1002882.jpg

1002888.jpg

You can post on this thread, leave me a PM or email me at: ARCoatingsUK@gmail.com.

more pictures and angles would be nice in different lighting conditions.. indoor, outdoor, direct light, non-direct light, etc. :) Also some specs on the Reflective coating ;) From the two pictures it looks nice, but the pictures you took with AR look like they've been taken with no direct light, whereas the two pics you took befor AR applied look as if they were taken in direct light on purpose. It'd be nice if you could compare before and after in the same lighting conditions.....

Both sets of photos were taken indoors, in the same place but in slightly different lighting conditions. When I took the photos with A/R it was an overcast day. I will try and get some more shots today.

The tint will be blue unless I get an overwhelming request for a different colour.

count me in please.

Will do !

Great avatar btw ! Saw one fly over Southampton last week to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the first Spitfire to take to the skys.

OK, as requested, here are some more photos. Can I first apologise for my lack of skills in the photography department! All pics taken with my trusty Kodak 5MP V570 compact and no Photoshopping has been done. Any specs or marks on the lens are lint or dust (I tried to clean it as best as I could before I took the photos). :whistling:

1) Indoors, natural sunlight through a window:

1002891.jpg

1002892.jpg

2) Outdoors (in shade):

1002895p.jpg

1002898q.jpg

1002899n.jpg

3) Outdoors (in sunlight):

1002902a.jpg

I'm interested in a double-sided coating F.F. and well done for

looking into this service, for all of us ,'on this side of the pond' :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Will the coating company strip existing crystals or will that be down to us?

Thanks again

N.

Thanks for your interest and kind words. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I knew this question would pop up but I haven't asked about A/R stripping yet. I will make some enquiries and let you know.

Looks good, congrats! The price is great - I think you'll get a lot of interest!

FineDD's AR is good but not as good as Chief's. It's good enough for me though and he doesn't have a waiting list. His prices are a bit higher than yours. I'm curious to see the AR in person, unfortunately I don't have a crystal that needs AR atm...

Cheers,

O.

I'm tempted to try at least on one crystal

FF, have you tried to test the surface to see if it's easy to scratch?

I haven't attempted to do any real damage to my sample crystal as yet but it appears to be pretty tough. The company who will be doing the AR coating for me claims that their coatings are "highly durable". One of their specialities is aircraft cockpit lighting applications.

I'm hoping to get a few done at once O, I'll send one over for you to see when they have been done mate!

Oh, did you get those AP screws yet?!

Sixx :bones:

Hey Sixx,

nope, haven't got the AP screws yet. But we know that your post office is the slowest in the world, right? LOL :-)

All the best, mate!

O.