When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Dials I Have Known

lhooq

What's up with that raised 6 on the "Yuki current?"

Not just the 6, but all the numerals are too far inboard and look as if they were lumed with Easy Cheese. That shot was taken the day I received the dial, and the day before I sent it back.

Sadly, all of Yuki's Explorer dials (5500 and 1016) have taken a big step backwards since last year.

Oddly, I like the Tiffany Dial version the best. Strange since normally, the co-branding is not my thing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The biggest tells for me on these is the font serif on the E in Explorer and on the numbers like the 3. Probably why the Tiffany version made pause and really look. I like the print quality and font.

Ronin: The Tiffany dial has a lot of commonalities with the old-school Yuki dial, but it's let down by two things: First, is that damned "Tiffany & Co.", in the wrong typeface. It more closely resembles those $90 reps from WE and Silix than any genuine example. Second are the minute markers that don't quite make it to the rehaut.

jmb: I don't think you'd be the only one! While the print quality of the newer Luminova service dials is pretty crisp, the vintage dials are... less distinct. That said, the resolution of the Space-Dweller dial is higher than any gen I've ever seen.

nomad89: The dial came from this Indonesian seller, who seems to have disappeared from eBay. Shame, since they also put out some of the best Sub, Explorer II, and PN Daytona dials I've ever seen on the aftermarket. And at fair prices, too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Indonesia. I know that place, which is pretty much less lawful than china when it comes to reps since they are literally sold in malls openly. That said, their freedom is what allows them to make better dials, albeit still not comparable to gens when it comes to the font.

Anyone ever been able to find a tropic brown 1016 dial?

Aftermarket or gen? I missed one on VRM last year: Beautiful shade of brown, decent condition... and only EUR 250! It resurfaced two months later, and sold for double, if I remember correctly.

Great to hear that ig44 will be back. I know at least one person who has bought a dial from them recently, despite them not having anything listed. Their Space-Dweller really is the best aftermarket 1016 dial I've ever seen. Take a look at the photographic comparison I made last year between it and the genuine item.

Aftermarket or gen? I missed one on VRM last year: Beautiful shade of brown, decent condition... and only EUR 250! It resurfaced two months later, and sold for double, if I remember correctly.

Great to hear that ig44 will be back. I know at least one person who has bought a dial from them recently, despite them not having anything listed. Their Space-Dweller really is the best aftermarket 1016 dial I've ever seen. Take a look at the photographic comparison I made last year between it and the genuine item.

I was thinking a rep dial. I figured the gen dial would be a tough find. That Space-Dweller looks real nice though. :)

I was thinking a rep dial. I figured the gen dial would be a tough find. That Space-Dweller looks real nice though. :)