When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 - What do you need to make it better

panerai153

I'm thinking about my next project seeiing that my 1665 is pretty close to the end stage. Thinking about a 6538. I'm looking at an MBK version that another member is selling me. I'm looking from some feedback and advice from folks who have either made up a nice modded version, or at least have spent some time thinking about what it would take.

After spending a small fortune on genuine parts for the 1665, this one is going to have to be kept in the "modded" catagory, not a move up to "Franken" . I have already in hand a Yuki 8mm Brevet crown/tube. Wondering about the motor? What about a 2846-2 or a 2873? both are slow beat, and I happen to have both of them around. what else outside of some case dial insert aging? If anyone has photos of a completed 6538 project , post them so we can all see what they are supposed to look like

Thanks

Your biggest expenses (since you already have the movement -- I would get the 2846 serviced & use that) will be the dial & case. Unless you use a standard rep case, you will probably require some type of spacer to fit the ETA movement into most aftermarket cases, since they are usually made to fit a gen Rolex movement. The dials in Bond Subs tended to vary a bit, so you have a bit of latitude there. As always, I would recommend doing your homework before beginning to build. Check out gens on TZ, VRF & google to see the various iterations & options. There are a handful of 653x frankens on RWG (including my 6536-1) that you can search out to get the fires burning.