When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone know how to properly press fit an Omega tube in the case?

Martyd3

I've always drilled out the old tube and epoxied the new tube in with JB Weld or Gorilla Glue. I know it's not correct, but it works.

I assume the gen tube is press fit in the case. I am thinking that the case would need to be heated to make the hole expand, so the tube can be pressed in place. That is how bushings are press fit in steel.

This is an interesting thread on the subject.

I am a little bit squeamish about heating up my Omega case with a blow torch
smile1.gif

I've always drilled out the old tube and epoxied the new tube in with JB Weld or Gorilla Glue. I know it's not correct, but it works.

I assume the gen tube is press fit in the case. I am thinking that the case would need to be heated to make the hole expand, so the tube can be pressed in place. That is how bushings are press fit in steel.

This is an interesting thread on the subject.

I am a little bit squeamish about heating up my Omega case with a blow torch
smile1.gif

The gen tube is not press fitted... The original tube is threaded.. and the gen case is threaded as well. The tube screws into the Gen case.

Since the rep tube is press fitted into the rep case, the only way to put a gen tube in a rep case is to use the epoxy method. I recommend using Araldite metal epoxy.

Is there something like this available in the US? Maybe JB Weld?

Araldite is available in any u.s. hardware store. Ace, Lowes, HOme Depot.. should all have it.

Why can't you tap the rep case? Hole too big?

Yes,

The rep case hole is bigger than the Gen Tube by .25 mm. That's why Epoxy is necessary.

I wonder if helicoil makes one small enough to use for the tube. I suppose you could also make one if you were so inclined. Find a screw the right size and tap the case to match. Then bore and tap the center of the screw/bolt. Then cut off the desired length. Of course it is easy to say :yu:

Yea, buy a lathe, find the screw ... it should be easy. LOL

The tube it not threaded, btw.

Hey. Any reason to buy new tools.....:) I'm sure your wife won't mind :lol:

Interesting that it is not threaded. They probably just use a piece of equipment that is designed for the job. We do that at work for pressing in engine wrist pins and suspension member bushings. Temperature difference is a great way too. What if you used your oven to heat it up as opposed to a torch? Should be good even heat that way and easier to control the temperature. Meanwhile stick the tube in the freezer. Then they should just slide together nicely. Let them sit and good to go. How are the diameters relative to each other?