When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1570 No Date Movement

sly

Hi Guys,

Need a little help, Just Purchased a Rolex 1002 No date with a 1570 movement for a good deal. I plan on using this 1570 to power my 1680. Question for all the experts is what will I need to convert this into a date movement (aside from the date wheel). Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sly

Hi Guys,

Need a little help, Just Purchased a Rolex 1002 No date with a 1570 movement for a good deal. I plan on using this 1570 to power my 1680. Question for all the experts is what will I need to convert this into a date movement (aside from the date wheel). Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sly

Sly,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I bought a 1570 non date (from a 1016) by mistake. i sent it up to Ziggy to transplant into my 1665. He told me that it was a no date, and it was practically impossible to convert a no date to a date model. I sold mine to a fellow member who was building a 1016, and bought a proper date model 1570 for my 1665. From what Ziggy said, it takes far more than just a datewheel to convert as the non date 1570's were built with none of the date mechanismm and weren't built to be converted. Possibly other members have been able to do it, and I'm sure it can be done, but I would bet that you will spend far more trying to convert this one that you would spend on a date model. I would try to sell this one and find a 1570 date with a datewheel.

I have a 1016 with a 1601 case and a 5513 MBW with Gen. dial and Insert. Maybe time to buy a Yuki 5513 case and drop the 1570 movement there.

Always research before you build.

I believe Rolex only ever used the 1570 in the 5512 (the 5513 was powered by either the 1520 or 1530).

As panerai153 said, it is not realistic to convert the 1570 to a 1575. There are about 30+ parts that need to be changed, including the (main) pillar plate, which would likely end up costing you more than the price of the 1575, assuming you are able to source all of the parts.

Sly - While anything is possible with vintage Rolex, I doubt they (Rolex) ever fitted a chronometer-rated caliber (1570) to a non-chronometer-rated watch (5513). The principal difference between the 5513 & 5512 is the latter's chronometer-rating. So, if you see a 5513 posted somewhere with a 1570 inside, I think it likely found its way in there sometime after the watch left Rolex.

5513 started with 1520 and later changed to 1570 for sure

5513 started with a 1530 in the early 60's and then switched to a 1520 around the mid 60's. I'm with freddy, anything's possible w/ vintage Rolex, but 1570 movts in a 5513 are rare and unusual. Certainly not SOP.

Sly - While anything is possible with vintage Rolex, I doubt they (Rolex) ever fitted a chronometer-rated caliber (1570) to a non-chronometer-rated watch (5513). The principal difference between the 5513 & 5512 is the latter's chronometer-rating. So, if you see a 5513 posted somewhere with a 1570 inside, I think it likely found its way in there sometime after the watch left Rolex.

I Agree Freddy.

That's what I'm afraid of, Now time to resell this thing :) Oh wait, I have a 1016 with a 1601 case and a 5513 MBW with Gen. dial and Insert. Maybe time to buy a Yuki 5513 case and drop the 1570 movement there. List just goes on..............

When you decide to part with your MBW case, let me know, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...