When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

installing genuine GMT crown on 1655 to 1675 case

cib0rgman

I still would like to put a gen GMT crown on a 1665 - 1675 conversion that I am doing. so I came up with this idea of using something called Fast steel reinforced epoxy to close the hole a little bit and then retap to make a new thread. what do you guys think. The hole in the case is too big. I still need to finish re-shaping the case but I do not have a bezel yet.case.jpg

case-top.jpg

faststeel.jpg

That *might* work. You'd have to get the case crazy clean for the Faststeel to stick correctly. If it was me, I'd probably chase out fresh threads in the case to get new, raw metal and then do the epoxy.

Of course if it was REALLY me, I'd go find a "helicoil" to fit the existing threads and provide the correct reduced thread size. :whistling:

That *might* work. You'd have to get the case crazy clean for the Faststeel to stick correctly. If it was me, I'd probably chase out fresh threads in the case to get new, raw metal and then do the epoxy.

Of course if it was REALLY me, I'd go find a "helicoil" to fit the existing threads and provide the correct reduced thread size. :whistling:

I've never seen helicoils that small, but I suppose they make them. if you can find one, it would be a lot better than the epoxy.

Here is the case with Gen + tube, Gen spring bars, after market 455B. the dial is at The Zigmeisters for a relume job I still need the Whole Bezel asembly and the GMT Hand. I purchased a Sub case back which resembles better the GMT case back.

WP_000082.jpg

WP_000075.jpg

WP_000079.jpg

WP_000077.jpg

WP_000078.jpg

If you are trying to fit a gen 5.3 crown (they are really about 5.45mm in diameter) on the Josh 1655, first try measuring the end of the rep tube that accepts the crown. If it is 4mm then then it will accept a gen 5.3mm crown as is...

But if it is not the same size, you can either:

1. Scavange some of your old reps with 6mm crowns and find a tube that will accept a gen crown. Hopefully the case tube side is 3mm. or

2. Just use a 6mm crown that is on the 1655...the rep crown actually is about 5.8mm in size. So ~.5mm difference won't be very noticible unless a WUS was inspecting it up close.

I hope that helps and clarifes things and saves some people headaches...