When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first AP

Hodlin

After one day:

• it is always stopping: normally pulled, but when I put down it will be stop in 4-5 minutes. cry2.gif
  • when I use the stopper function it will stop in the first minute.
  • when I wear it works normally but delay.

Who can help me?sad.gif

A good servicing is all it needs.

Never can be too safe with these A7750s. They're great movements when serviced, but often come from the factory in less than ideal condition. Don't return the watch, as there is no guarantee that the next one will be any better. It's always advisable to get a watch serviced, and ESPECIALLY the 7750s

A good servicing is all it needs.

Never can be too safe with these A7750s. They're great movements when serviced, but often come from the factory in less than ideal condition. Don't return the watch, as there is no guarantee that the next one will be any better. It's always advisable to get a watch serviced, and ESPECIALLY the 7750s

I've been considering buying a AP replica for sometime now but this is something that puts me off buying direct from a dealer/factory. £300+ for a rep is not pocket change, and I personally find it a little galling that you shell out that sort of cash and then have to pay more cash to get it serviced, as well as running the risk of the watch going AWOL or being seized by Customs.

Would it not be in the factory's interest and in the buyers interest to get people at the factory to ensure that the movement is fit for purpose and won't break down with 24 hours? I'd be more at ease buying from the dealer/factory if I knew it was properly serviced, and would happily pay more to have that guarentee that the movement ain't going to pack up in a couple of days time.

Just my thoughts, what do the rest of you think?

I've been considering buying a AP replica for sometime now but this is something that puts me off buying direct from a dealer/factory. £300+ for a rep is not pocket change, and I personally find it a little galling that you shell out that sort of cash and then have to pay more cash to get it serviced, as well as running the risk of the watch going AWOL or being seized by Customs.

Would it not be in the factory's interest and in the buyers interest to get people at the factory to ensure that the movement is fit for purpose and won't break down with 24 hours? I'd be more at ease buying from the dealer/factory if I knew it was properly serviced, and would happily pay more to have that guarentee that the movement ain't going to pack up in a couple of days time.

Just my thoughts, what do the rest of you think?

+1

Although I agree with Plaif that it is not worth it to send it back, unfortunately that is the only thing that will make the dealers source better watches. As long as they can sell crap, and we put up with it, they will.

Having said that, buying AP is an expensive affair, even when you go the rep-route. But then you are buying into a top luxury brand.

Once serviced (and probably at the same time) you might want to have the watch AR treated and re-lumed. I have had both done to mine and I really think it makes the watch.

Consider that the Gen costs about $15,000. The serviced and modified rep will be a fantastic watch at less than 10%, but it will serve you just as well.

I had the same problem with my Black Themes - always stopped after 10 minutes and that was approx. 1 year after it had had a complete service! :thumbdown:

I sent it off to Domi who had to replace 3 gears for the secs@12 mechanism - now it works fine again. Let's see for how long... I really like those APs, but I won't buy another one before they have found a better way for the secs@12.

Agree- I have a Grey Themes that I paid $700 with servicing and AR etc.from a member here. The thing is pretty but has always run

too fast and can't even be regulated.

That sucks man, $700 - alot of cash, and knowing my luck I would probably end up in a similar situation to yourself with a watch that just doesn't work properly.

+1

Although I agree with Plaif that it is not worth it to send it back, unfortunately that is the only thing that will make the dealers source better watches. As long as they can sell crap, and we put up with it, they will.

Having said that, buying AP is an expensive affair, even when you go the rep-route. But then you are buying into a top luxury brand.

Once serviced (and probably at the same time) you might want to have the watch AR treated and re-lumed. I have had both done to mine and I really think it makes the watch.

Consider that the Gen costs about $15,000. The serviced and modified rep will be a fantastic watch at less than 10%, but it will serve you just as well.

I get where you are coming from, am just worried that I'd end up with a piece of junk that is always breaking and in constant need of repair. I've already got a Breitling Skyland Avenger gen which cost me the best part of £3K a year or so ago. Don't think the wife would be so understanding if I blew £15K on a watch, even £3K was pushing it when I got my Breitling. :D

I had the same problem with my Black Themes - always stopped after 10 minutes and that was approx. 1 year after it had had a complete service! :thumbdown: I sent it off to Domi who had to replace 3 gears for the secs@12 mechanism - now it works fine again. Let's see for how long... I really like those APs, but I won't buy another one before they have found a better way for the secs@12.

Sorry to hear that Whatever123. Secs@12 seems to be a pretty crap, given that most people seem to have every single watch serviced straight away, and even then you have no guarentees that its going to work for any length of time.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is not the movement but the modification to make the seconds run @12 the movement wasn't designed for that kind of strain and no service can change that. I've serviced dozens of APs and I always advice to diconnect the seconds @12 so that the reliabilty increases.

post-682-0-93581300-1301084172.jpg

• 1 month later...