When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex Crowns

Experts,

These are three gen Rollie 7mm trip lock crowns that were sent to me. The middle one has a smaller longer crown. To which era and watches did they belong?

129130-19721.jpg

Looks great. I have the MBW 1665 enroute. Where can I source one these genuine crowns? Am I looking for a specific part number? Will any crown and tube work? I prefer the genuine OEM parts.

cheers

You need the 24-7030 tube and the 24-703 crown. You can find some on the bay (watch out for fakes). I have a spare gen crown (the one on the left or right). 28$ shipped worldwide I can let go of one. The tube can be bought at ofrei.

Looks great. I have the MBW 1665 enroute. Where can I source one these genuine crowns? Am I looking for a specific part number? Will any crown and tube work? I prefer the genuine OEM parts.

cheers

OKay, I have to ask. What does triplock refer to? :)

kruz,

Triplock refers to the gasket system used in the tube- There's a gasket at the base of the tube where it threads to the case, another inside the tube to seal at the stem, and of course, the gasket on the outside of the threads that mate to the crown.

Twinlock is the same concept, except a smaller diameter crown/tube (6mm vs. 7mm) and minus the gasket outside of the tube.

Technically, there is also a gasket inside the crown to compress against the inside edges of the tube, but that one isn't counted into the figure :)

I want to show Ubi this crown that I have, is for an older Submariner I am planing on installing it on my MBW 1680.

What can you tell me about it Ubi. Is this correct for the watch?

129282-19687.jpg

Thanks

Edited by cib0rgman

I want to show Ubi this crown that I have, is for an older Submariner I am planing on installing it on my MBW 1680.

What can you tell me about it Ubi. Is this correct for the watch?

129313-19681.jpg

Thanks

Don't mean to be a buttinski, but what you have there is a vintage twinlock crown. These are pretty hard to come by these days. Most have been changed out to the triplock as watches have been serviced. The only problem fitting this to your watch will be finding a twinlock case tube, as this crown won't screw down to a triplock. The twinlock tubes are harder to find than the crowns, but you may get lucky.

Don't mean to be a buttinski, but what you have there is a vintage twinlock crown. These are pretty hard to come by these days. Most have been changed out to the triplock as watches have been serviced. The only problem fitting this to your watch will be finding a twinlock case tube, as this crown won't screw down to a triplock. The twinlock tubes are harder to find than the crowns, but you may get lucky.

Are the old Twinlock tubes different from the new ones for 6mm crowns?

Are the old Twinlock tubes different from the new ones for 6mm crowns?

It's a shame it's not that easy. These old 7mm twinlock crowns take a 7mm twinlock case tube, I believe it's part #700. These were replaced with the triplock crown and tube in the 70's and from what I understand Rolex hasn't made these since. Some collectors of vintage subs prefer these to keep the piece in original condition and will pay way more than is reasonable for them when they show up.

As Heywood has mentioned, that is an old 7mm Twinlock for a Sub/SD. Very rare to find, and even more difficult to source the tube.

130995-19272.jpg

Hey Ubi,

Is that the 5517 rep with the slower beat movement? if so, are those the Yao hands you had recommended for my 5517(same movement swap)?

Thanks, thatb piece looks great.

Kurt.