When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTIIC Reliability

johndoe1

I am about to buy a GMTIIc with the Asian clone movement. I have been researching for a while and it seems there are problems with this movement with a GMT complication. I hear two things - the GMT hand will not keep accurate time and/or that the movement will simply not function.

I understand the watches in this promotion are ICHS models - do these problems usually happen to those with CHS?

I would like to hear about any reliability issues or success stories from those who own the GMTIIc with a clone 2836. How do they keep time, including the GMT hand?

Thanks All

Based on my experienced, I would recommend going with the Modified ICHS Swiss ETA movement. I had two GMTs with Asian Clones die on me already, but my 4 Swiss ETAs, some from 2006 are still running fine!

Mines amazing! I got it here (TYasimplefarmer!!!), its been lumed (VAC). I beat on it every day and it rewards me by keeping time +/- 3 seconds in 24 hours :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

If I were to mod it further

A Clark crystal

replace the bracelet as its end link is skinny on one side by maybe 1mm

And just continue to beat it up then pass it on!

As for the movement, it would be nice if had a smoother sweep and the GMT hand which i use daily is a little tough to set perfectly best Ive gotten is 6 minutes off (GMT hand top of the hour minute hand at 6 after.

I could care less if the movement dies, $17.00 and I'm back in action!

GL!post-11567-0-80430600-1300074817.jpg

I've had the 21J version for 45 days. I've worn it everyday and I am amazed at the reliability so far. I have not had to set the time other than for daylight savings, it keeps excellent time and the GMT hand is spot on. Yes, the slower beat is a big tell but for around $100.00 I am MORE than happy with this watch.

To my eyes, the 21j 21600bph is very noticeable and a big "tell".

A21j does not mean low beat. It's a catch-all phrase used to describe a lot of movements. The 4813 and the 2813 are the two most reliable and common A21j movements, and the 4813 is 28.8K beats. The 2813 is the low beat version.

BTW these are clones of the rock-solid Japanese Miyota branded movements, and as far as I am aware you can swap a Chinese DG 4/2813 out and drop in the real Japanese part.

The gen crystal fit onto my 1st gen CHS (using the original rep crystal gasket, which does not form a perfect seal, so I would never swim with it) without any problem. So, my guess is that (as long as it is the same dimensions as the gen) Clark's crystal should fit as well. However, in cases like this, the only way to know is to buy the part, give it a try & find out.

The gen crystal fit onto my 1st gen CHS (using the original rep crystal gasket, which does not form a perfect seal, so I would never swim with it) without any problem. So, my guess is that (as long as it is the same dimensions as the gen) Clark's crystal should fit as well. However, in cases like this, the only way to know is to buy the part, give it a try & find out.

+1 gen crystal fit - but i used UV glue to give extra secure ....