When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of replicas

kv1997

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You forgot the other solution...

Not spending a lot of money and having your rep serviced. I've never paid over $60 for a full servicing of a chronograph movement. (and that was by one of the most reputable modders here on the forum ;) )

So who did your $60 service? Please share!

Just to point out here .. there are different levels of "service" .. from the complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection, oiling, re-assembly and timing .. to an el-cheapo Dip n Swish job.

One is perfect and the other gets you by.

Find out what your watch man is doing for your service, and then compare prices.

IN NYC I have 7750 iserviced for $150 tops...

Good for you. My 83 year old repairman does things he knows for $85. Met up with him at the doctors waiting room thursday. This won't go on much longer.

And $150 is not so much less than $200. And of course NYC is not "local" for most of us in the world.

The number I really got spammed for, on this thread and in my PM, was the $400 number and that is low to standard for getting a gen Rolex, Omega, Breitling serviced properly with a complete disassembly, reassembly with factory specified lubricants, and adjustment in five positions. Anything less is just a "rep" of a servicing. There is no substitute for servicing a gen or rep which is, say, five years old and in need of service. Just getiing it "ticking" again for a few days or months does not solve the problem.

For rep owners, it makes sense to just replace the movement with an eta clone. Few reps are ever going to be worth the cost of a full servicing. Flame on.

Carl

Well i want to say something about the a7750.

How can a watch movement being described as reliable, and almost as good as an swiss 7750, that if you try to wind it from the crown, breaks completly! A watch movement that you cannot wind it manually!

Also i noted the unidirectional winding of the rotor, not bidirectional, and various problems with the chrono hands to move at the right time, and stop in the markers and not between them...

Edited by laskos

The swiss 7750 should also not be wound from the crown

Is this true???!!! I am very comfused...

Lots of peoples here and in the gen forums talk all the time about micromechanical wonders and bla bla and bla bla....

I am very sad...

What is the problem? The eta cannot manufacture gears that dont break by simple rotating one inside the other? ITS THAT DIFFICULT??

Or its that difficult to build a bidirectional rotor???

And we are talking about micromecanical wonders etc...

So lazy the biggest movement manufacture in the world to build a movement that winds from the crown (winds from the crown? impossible!)

Bidirectional rotor?? unheard!

The swiss 7750 should also not be wound from the crown

Is this true???!!! I am very comfused...

Lots of peoples here and in the gen forums talk all the time about micromechanical wonders and bla bla and bla bla....

I am very sad...

What is the problem? The eta cannot manufacture gears that dont break by simple rotating one inside the other? ITS THAT DIFFICULT??

Or its that difficult to build a bidirectional rotor???

And we are talking about micromecanical wonders etc...

So lazy the biggest movement manufacture in the world to build a movement that winds from the crown (winds from the crown? impossible!)

Bidirectional rotor?? unheard!

ETA 7750:

a.- Sure you can hand wind it, no problem.

b.- The rotor or oscilating mass will spin both ways but WILL ONLY wind the mainspring whilst moving in one direction.

Asian clone 7750

a.- It's not a good thing to hand wind it because of IT MIGHT cause problems, like fellow member/watch repairer Offshore said "The A7750 are like hand grenades".

b.- The rotor or oscilating mass will spin both ways but will only wind the mainspring whilst moving in one direction.

Mind to elaborate? What's the problem of winding the swiss 7750?

One of the master watch makers here on the Forum has posted at least one pictorial of the tear-down process on a 7750 movement. He says that one of the most common problems during a 7750 service is stripped auto winding gears caused by using the crown to wind the mechanism too often.

There are photos of the gear with broken teeth all over it.

When you use the crown to wind a watch, the auto-wind train spins furiously and can wear quickly.

It is recommended that if you must wind it, do it slowly and ONLY until the watch starts moving, then simply wear it to wind it additionally.

One of the master watch makers here on the Forum has posted at least one pictorial of the tear-down process on a 7750 movement. He says that one of the most common problems during a 7750 service is stripped auto winding gears caused by using the crown to wind the mechanism too often.

When you use the crown to wind a watch, the auto-wind train spins furiously and can wear quickly.

It is recommended that if you must wind it, do it slowly and ONLY until the watch starts moving, then simply wear it to wind it additionally.

Then why would one buy one of these movements?

If they are just junk and fragile as eggs, why should we have to deal with this?

I am open minded. Why would someone buy such a thing and recommend it to others?

Please explain why this is a good thing to buy and then face the repair.

Thanks for the explanation, JKay. Understand the ETA 7750 movement consists of delicate parts and should always be handled with care.

So basically the auto-wind train is affected and it shouldn't be a problem for 6497 etc. Then the same issue should apply to other auto-wind movements such as 2824, 2836, 2892 etc. if we want to follow the same line of thought? Anyway, perhaps different movements have different construction and the baseline is to handle them with care. Thanks again.

ETA 7750:

a.- Sure you can hand wind it, no problem.

b.- The rotor or oscilating mass will spin both ways but WILL ONLY wind the mainspring whilst moving in one direction.

Asian clone 7750

a.- It's not a good thing to hand wind it because of IT MIGHT cause problems, like fellow member/watch repairer Offshore said "The A7750 are like hand grenades".

b.- The rotor or oscilating mass will spin both ways but will only wind the mainspring whilst moving in one direction.

If we're gonna open up the can of worms about handwinding... let's do it somewhere else. Some watchmakers have said it's a bad idea to do on ANY automatic movement (eta or otherwise) and others have said there's no problems. Seriously.. been on the forum for many years.. and this topic has been beaten to death.

What HAS NOT been beaten to death is this topic on whether or not the 7750 is reliable once serviced. The fact of the matter is.. with a good servicing you shouldn't need to handwind any automatic movement. A few good shakes and off you go. I feel sorry for Kal Vilmer and his HORRIBLE experience.. but he is but a novice.. and I honestly don't see how anyone could say that the 7750 is unreliable especially in its current form. It is the base movement for almost all of our chronograph watches and has been proven to be quite a work horse when properly cared for and serviced. If Kal Vilmer can demonstrate otherwise.. i Might accept his outlandish statement.. but history proves you wrong.

Sure there's been a few bad apples, but overall i trust the opinion of someone like francisco or The Zigmeister much more than you and your half-assed word Kal.... Seriously.. I mean.. Those guys are experts in horology.. who are you to say anything about the reliability of the movement even when serviced??

Sounds to me like your passing judgement on the movement itself simply because of YOUR bad experience with an unserviced watch.

just my 2 cents

If we're gonna open up the can of worms about handwinding... let's do it somewhere else. Some watchmakers have said it's a bad idea to do on ANY automatic movement (eta or otherwise) and others have said there's no problems. Seriously.. been on the forum for many years.. and this topic has been beaten to death.

What HAS NOT been beaten to death is this topic on whether or not the 7750 is reliable once serviced. The fact of the matter is.. with a good servicing you shouldn't need to handwind any automatic movement. A few good shakes and off you go. I feel sorry for Kal Vilmer and his HORRIBLE experience.. but he is but a novice.. and I honestly don't see how anyone could say that the 7750 is unreliable especially in its current form. It is the base movement for almost all of our chronograph watches and has been proven to be quite a work horse when properly cared for and serviced. If Kal Vilmer can demonstrate otherwise.. i Might accept his outlandish statement.. but history proves you wrong.

Sure there's been a few bad apples, but overall i trust the opinion of someone like francisco or The Zigmeister much more than you and your half-assed word Kal.... Seriously.. I mean.. Those guys are experts in horology.. who are you to say anything about the reliability of the movement even when serviced??

Sounds to me like your passing judgement on the movement itself simply because of YOUR bad experience with an unserviced watch.

just my 2 cents

Im not sure wy you are sort of making this personal. I may be a novice with fake watches but i have a lot of experience wth normal watches. I got what i paid for. And im entitled to an opinion unless a Mod says so.My advice for the OP would be to have any chinese 7750 replaced with a regular 7750. And for you Plaifander i suggest you have your brain serviced because it looks you got the "A" version too.

Im not sure wy you are sort of making this personal. I may be a novice with fake watches but i have a lot of experience wth normal watches. I got what i paid for. And im entitled to an opinion unless a Mod says so.My advice for the OP would be to have any chinese 7750 replaced with a regular 7750. And for you Plaifander i suggest you have your brain serviced because it looks you got the "A" version too.

Sorry, Didnt want you to think i'm taking anything personal here.. Nor did I mean to offend you personally. Looking back, I probably overdid it with the word half-assed.. When I said half-assed, i meant your opinion.. which is not technical nor of any sound merit.. Its just an opinion you formed not based on breakdowns.. or research on the movement.

Just like you could say a toyota is a shitty, unreliable car. Research and statistics and general public image of the company would probably tell everyone else otherwise. With proper care and driving your toyota could last you 20 years.

Yes indeed you're entitled to your opinion, There's no doubt that a swiss ETA is a bit better than the A7750.. but it's also quite a bit more expensive and never a direct swap. If it's bought used, there's also no guarantee it will run better than a serviced A7750.. You wouldn't buy a car without having it serviced... why would you buy a watch that you like without getting it serviced? My point is that serviced.. both the Asian as well as the Swiss should run for years. That fact can't be disputed. The other undisputed fact is that you never know what you get from the factories.. and now that many dealers are oferring the swiss 7750.. there's no guarantee that because its swiss it will run better.. in fact, its very probable that the swiss 7750 they give you will be old stock, with possible dust, dirt and grime gumming up the movement.. in which case.. you're in the same boat as if you had bought the a7750.. In need of a service...

My sincere apologies Kal.. friendly spirited banter is always welcome, and I'm never one to purposely offend anyone if can be avoided. Rock on

OK learning a lot (another noob). My first 7750 is on its way from Silix (Omega Broad Arrow, white face/blue hands because a By-Tor review lit my desire for it). Its an A7750 Valjoux. What does the Valjoux signify and why am I now so nervous about this movement. Does anyone know of a good watchmaker who can service this in Australia (Canberra)?

post-30609-0-52012000-1302417946.jpg

My sincere apologies Kal.. friendly spirited banter is always welcome, and I'm never one to purposely offend anyone if can be avoided. Rock on

You're a class act, Plai. :good:

Does anyone know of a good watchmaker who can service this in Australia (Canberra)?

Great choice, Michael. I like this Speedie.

For a watchmaker in Oz, contact Offshore, he's a moderator here and I'm quite certain he knows somebody who can help. :)

Val.

Not to highjack gents. But a quicky while were on watchmakers for service. Been asking around a fair bit but no go. Anyone know of a watchmaker that can service a7750 in CANADA??? Any info greatly appreciated