When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Watch Snob

tabularasa415

I was catching up on some "Watch Snob" articles and I found this one that for some reason almost made me fall off of the couch laughing:

I always see my boss shaking his wrist to get his watch to tick -- what’s the deal with that and how come my watch ticks without having to shake it?

Dear God, where do I begin? First, you just used the word “ticks” twice in one sentence -- never do that again. Second, your boss isn’t just shaking his wrist, he’s attempting to wind his seemingly high-end timepiece (although if he’s really “shaking” it, I may have to have some words with him too). Better watches do not require batteries to power them; instead, they work on the power provided by an automatic rotor, a small metal weight that spins and retains mechanical power. Third, if he is actually winding his watch, then it won’t be ticking as those timepieces that lack a quartz movement actually move along quietly and smoothly. In summary, your watch is a piece of crap and your boss’s is not, and that’s all you need to know.

This one was even funnier:

What’s the deal with different watches having different straps on them? Why are some metal, some leather and some rubber?

This question makes me regret warning you of looming physical violence in the previous response. Are you really asking me this question? The deal is that different watches are designed for different things. You wouldn’t put a leather strap on a diving watch, would you? Well actually, maybe you would. Generally speaking, a leather strap is dressier, a rubber strap is sportier and a metal bracelet is somewhere in between. There are certainly exceptions to the rule, but there you have it, the answer to your question. Now go back to living your life, undoubtedly as a virgin.

These questions remind me of some recent posts regarding waterproofing and such :)

I've read the Watch Snob for a while now, the writers (and there are more than one, I guarantee it) always put on a good-natured rubbing. Perhaps we could answer those banal questions with similar zest? :)

These questions remind me of some recent posts regarding waterproofing and such :)

I've read the Watch Snob for a while now, the writers (and there are more than one, I guarantee it) always put on a good-natured rubbing. Perhaps we could answer those banal questions with similar zest? :)

Actually no.

Bricky, or Bricktop as he was known back then, used to answer a lot of noob questions, it was a lot of fun (unless it was you he had his sights on) but then we realised we were also losing lots of noobs.

Ken

I thought when I wrote to him that the questions seemed pretty reasonable.....He didnt have to take that tone with me...I was only asking.....

I guess I shouldnt send him the other question then....... Why do some watches have hands and some dont?

I was just reading some of Watch Snobs write up about Baselworld 2011, when this caught my eye...

With customary fireworks, TAG Heuer made a splash with the introduction of its latest concept watch, the Mikrotimer, proving that the company is emerging from its long coma. The watch is a real step forward in chronograph technology, with a balance-free escapement that oscillates at 3.6 million vibrations per hour, allowing the chronograph to keep time to 1/1000th of a second -- a first for a mechanical watch. Never mind that the reaction time of the human finger is far less than this, rendering the watch useless.

Ken :D

I was just reading some of Watch Snobs write up about Baselworld 2011, when this caught my eye...

With customary fireworks, TAG Heuer made a splash with the introduction of its latest concept watch, the Mikrotimer, proving that the company is emerging from its long coma. The watch is a real step forward in chronograph technology, with a balance-free escapement that oscillates at 3.6 million vibrations per hour, allowing the chronograph to keep time to 1/1000th of a second -- a first for a mechanical watch. Never mind that the reaction time of the human finger is far less than this, rendering the watch useless.

Ken :D

Great find, and so true. But isn't that by definition the embodiment of their 'Avant Garde' philosophy of Tag?

We make timepieces so awesome they are beyond human requirement. Who doesn't want a watch like that?! :)