When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

329 Prototype

PeteM

Definitely a steep in the right direct , bracelet looks good, though its not the sort of thing I will be able to pull off cos on stick thin wrists.

Cant really tell if the font is too white , but to my ADD trained eyes it looks ok what are your thoughts Pete?

What do we think of the SDW? Seems to be a little worse than the Gen 312/320. Bracelet really looks fantastic, but getting the dials spot on will be harder. Need to see the CG at some stage too!

Edited by subbiesrock

IMHO

The 2 on the 12 is off as it meets the base line

The 9 rolls round to far as does the 6

Thickness seems off

Top plate is to thin and too close to the base plate so no depth is there

Some of the inscriptions seem off as in shape of letters like cross bar of A, and O etc

Thickness of Font

LSML is off

Thickness of markers

Hands seems off in terms of the tickness of the edges to the width of the lumed strip

Minute Hand seems shorter

Few other bits but realy hard to be sure from pics

No expert here but even to my amateur eyes the dial doesn't seem sandwiched at all, it looks flat, no shadows at numbers edges to indicate two levels.

IMHO

The 2 on the 12 is off as it meets the base line

The 9 rolls round to far as does the 6

Thickness seems off

Top plate is to thin and too close to the base plate so no depth is there

Some of the inscriptions seem off as in shape of letters like cross bar of A, and O etc

Thickness of Font

LSML is off

Thickness of markers

Hands seems off in terms of the tickness of the edges to the width of the lumed strip

Minute Hand seems shorter

Few other bits but realy hard to be sure from pics

crown is golden and sticks too far from the case :p

crown is golden and sticks too far from the case :p

Come on F dont be stupid mate ...thats the limited Edition version.. !!!! .The "Sans CG Crown and Bezel" model

Even with the flaws on the dial... This one appears to be a better replication than the 359 already... I'll hold final judgement until the CG photos are released. But at this time, my wallet is pulling me toward a 329 out of the options.

And yes, as far as I am aware.. The difference between a 320 and 329 is leather vs. bracelet.

Even with the flaws on the dial... This one appears to be a better replication than the 359 already... I'll hold final judgement until the CG photos are released.

I don't think the CG will be that different from the 359. Previous comments in other threads have identified the full stops between the REG. T.M. markings to be circular instead of square. Bracelet is fantastic though, clearly some effort to make that work.

PeteM identified the 2 (in the 12), 9 and 6 numerals which were the most obvious tells. It makes me wonder, the factories must be using a CAD package and CNC to draw and machine these, how hard is it to draw the right shape FFS? The design of the digits is not particularly complex... It really irks me, if they just do it properly the first time, there won't need to be 'prototypes'!

No expert here but even to my amateur eyes the dial doesn't seem sandwiched at all, it looks flat, no shadows at numbers edges to indicate two levels.

To my knowledge, the plates are made to specs, i.e. 0.4mm top and bottom. Should that be the case, could it be too much lume?!?!

To my knowledge, the plates are made to specs, i.e. 0.4mm top and bottom. Should that be the case, could it be too much lume?!?!

Not sure if this is correct, but I was reading that the gen bottom plate has a "recess" in it for the lume to lay into, and it gives the effect of a thicker top plate.

Not sure if this is correct, but I was reading that the gen bottom plate has a "recess" in it for the lume to lay into, and it gives the effect of a thicker top plate.

OH well if thats the case we are buggered i doubt they will achieve that , a thicker top plate would give the same effect though ? right?

Blimey Petes list is pretty extensive and valid , did you hear anything back from A yet? Were these similar issues with the 312 ? that he had on the website I thought that was a bit better lets hope so

OH well if thats the case we are buggered i doubt they will achieve that , a thicker top plate would give the same effect though ? right?

Thats what I was thinking, if they just made the top plate just a little thicker it would give the cutouts more depth.

Well I am far from an expert in this hobby but when you look at Andy’s dial, what is missing are the shadows that the top layer casts from different angles. The cut outs are obviously a straight cut and the light reflects on the sides of the cut outs.

When looking at the genuine, it seems like the top layer is a lot thinner or the cut outs are made differently. Wouldn’t it be possible to make the cut outs of the rep inverse-bevelled? It would “add” depth and the right visual effect (shadows) I think.

Edited by statos

I am not certain on thickness measurements, so I couldnt say what they were..

I have noticed however that dial thickness' did vary on the gens I have had..not by much and only to my eye so again its a subjective opinion...

Though looking at say what D did in his post I would say these are thinner regardless of the lume though with changing this you can negate the shallow rep look but wont acheive the full gen look...

I think a lot of what you see on the gen isnt just the plate itself but also the build up on it of the base coat, top coat and lacquer...which the rep dials dont get or certainly dont appear to get...

What I havent paid attention too and will do at the next opportunity is compare the dial feet and base plate thickness as this will also provide more information on the comparison of gen to rep relative to the way the CP and hands sit above the top plate.

I dont think anything is going to change on this dial as when I spoke to Angus he said the only variation from this to the final dial being used on the 312 was the GMT... so given that the 312 is the final version its logical to assume this is the final GMT dial...

I really dont think we are going to see much difference in any of these models now... the only outstanding part that I have been told is still not final is the shape of the CG lever but I think reading between the lines this doesnt inclue the distance of the lever from the case, which is another shame..

On another small point..none of these models will have SL.. it will be a decent lume but not gen standard

Having said all that I still think this whole process has been a great example of how things could be progressed in developing reps.... if only !!

These are still going to be nice reps compared to whats currently available... and until the movements are sorted the main flaw, the position and size of the DW, will always be evident so what harm does a few other flaws do overall !! ;) ;)