When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Commercial Watch Builders Observation

lgking

I know reps are 'reps', but some of us pay pretty dear for some of our newer upscale reps (trimmed CG's, new date wheels, pressed crystals, additional sealants, real new Swiss movements, etc.) Happen to catch the opinion of a builder I follow occasionally, and it got me thinking about why I WOULD NOT want to buy a CERAMIC ROLEX rep. Here are his (cut & paste) quotes.

"Mate,

I had been testing a R-style Glide Lock. But it broke after 4 months. Other Sino-GlideLock seems to be the same. I think they come from about 2-3 factories, so they will all be the same. So be wared Sino-glide Lock will not last the distance.

Current release will get the proven Flip Lock bracelet with extension."

"It is a difficult question and an equally difficult solution.

Yes the Glide Lock is an amazing piece of engineering. Yes the Sino-Glide Lock is not up to par. Any bracelet in the “affordable” price range that pretends to be a Glide Lock will have problems. I have also heard from owners of the Real Deal, the Glide Lock is fabulous – like a Ferrari and as expensive to maintain. So this is why Rolex Glide Lock costs and why it offers the standard bracelet and the Glide Lock on the Sea Dweller. My goal is a robust affordable bracelet."

Edited by lgking

Even the gen guidelocks are breaking on that one weld where the pivot is. Im sure the clasp will last longer than 4 months though. Depends how much you feel the need to play with the guidelock adjustment I guess.

Dizz

Interesting, who is the builder quoted?

I very much like the ceramic Sub I bought from Prowatch-Polo (whatever happened to him?), can't find any big flaws on it, seems to be truly well made.

But I don't use the glide-lock function at all, guess I fear it will eventually get messed up.

That's a real weakness in the rep world - often you can't use the functions of the original design - chronos, waterproofnesss etc.

Interesting, who is the builder quoted?

I very much like the ceramic Sub I bought from Prowatch-Polo (whatever happened to him?), can't find any big flaws on it, seems to be truly well made.

But I don't use the glide-lock function at all, guess I fear it will eventually get messed up.

That's a real weakness in the rep world - often you can't use the functions of the original design - chronos, waterproofnesss etc.

I believe that the design is inherently weak. If the pivot was a forged or machined piece it would be much stronger. It's not just the rep bracelets that are breaking, just search glide lock on the genuine Rolex forums and see how many of the genuine have failed. Pretty serious problem, because when it fails, the bracelet seperates and your watch is on it's way down, either to the floor, or possibly the bottom of the ocean if you are diving with your DSSD.

It's a great concept and if reliable really helps to be able to adjust the bracelet for arm size changes. unfortunately the design flaw makes it less than desirable.