When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced watch losing 1 1/2 mins a day?

kingkaiser

So I bought a watch from a user on the forums, and paid a premium as it was serviced and regulated (according to him). I get the watch, and it takes ages to start running - since its an A7750, I dont want to wind it, as I understand that creates problems. Additionally, this serviced and regulated watch and running 1 1/2 minutes slow. I've had better time from watches straight from the dealer.

Am I being unrealistic in terms of expectations? I wouldn't have cared so much if I hadn't paid a premium for this service which I am now questioning. Or is 1 1/2 minutes and slow startup time on the wrist not a big deal for a serviced/regulated watch, and should I just have it reserviced at my own expense?

Thanks all!

Edited by kingkaiser

Without seeing the listing it is hard to say. If it was described specifically that it had been serviced and regulated and you paid extra for that having been done (not really fair to charge for IMHO) then I think your expectation is justified. I would discuss with the seller to see what can be settled.

I find that serviced watches sometimes take a little time to "bed in" after service, and I regularly retime a watch after about 6 weeks and get much better and MORE CONSISTENT, time keeping.

Also we know these bloody A7750's are hand grenades, so its difficult to expect too much in regard to time keeping.

The bigger question in my mind is that a decent service was in fact carried out, After all, that is the major value in the offer.

I would have another watchmaker check that a service was indeed done, and ask for the reason it is slow to start..

Offshore

I find that serviced watches sometimes take a little time to "bed in" after service, and I regularly retime a watch after about 6 weeks and get much better and MORE CONSISTENT, time keeping.

Also we know these bloody A7750's are hand grenades, so its difficult to expect too much in regard to time keeping.

The bigger question in my mind is that a decent service was in fact carried out, After all, that is the major value in the offer.

I would have another watchmaker check that a service was indeed done, and ask for the reason it is slow to start..

Offshore

I couldn't agree more with you, mate! All my watches which have been serviced by my mate & wonderful watchmaker, take time to bed in... even though the timing machine shows otherwise. :)

Sent from my RafDroidHD using Tapatalk

Offshore

Thing is, I was told the service was 6 months back, so the bed-in process should have been complete. That having been said, I've reset the time and will look at it closely again (3rd time in 3 days). I just feel like an idiot because in addition to this, his posting didn't reflect (to the best of my memory) a dent in the bezel, scratches on the AR or a strap that was at 70%. Will wait for repgeek to be functional again, and check the ad once again to see if any of this was disclosed (although given how anal I am about scratches, I would have noticed a mention of this I think). Else, I feel like I got a pretty raw deal since I paid the price of a new watch, a new strap, and servicing (which was key - watch repairers in my country are mediocre at best, and bad in general); and I got a slightly damaged watch, well used strap, and non-evident servicing.

Somehow though, I think that I'm unlikely to get any funds back. Lets see...

Sounds like its not what you expected, hope it gets sorted.

Don't forget that even if it is 6 months since it was serviced, it would need to have been re-timed after the service to be at all effective.

I tell all my service customers to bring their watches back after about 6 weeks for a quick reset.

O/S

I once bought a serviced watch here and when I took it apart, it was way worse than what it was before the "service"

Reason: way way way too much oil. Since the A7750 from the factory are always dry, this would have been better than the "serviced" one.

When a watch is properly serviced, there should not be a "bed-in time" necessary. It's not a car, it's a watch! :lol:

It's running properly or it's not.

Some options of the problems:

poor service (most likely!)

something has happend during the shipment (box dropped????)

the spring of the balance wheel sticks together which results in a shorter spring.

A properly serviced watch should run correctly from the completion of that service. However, because ambient air temperature/pressure & positional errors can (& do) affect timing, the watch is likely to require fine-tuning (not gross adjustment) based on the wearer's wear habits.

Do this - Slowly wind the crown 40 turns & set the time to your computer. Put the watch down (face-up) on a table & let it sit, undisturbed, for 24 hours. If, after a day, it is more than 30 seconds off, I would say it requires attention. Otherwise, not.

And, just for reference, I would only pay (or charge, as the seller) additional for 'servicing' if the watchmaker's original work order accompanies the watch.